Bucky Barnes - Part I

Her Protector - Part I
He was sitting on the medical chair stiffly while the scientists repaired his arm, listening to them talk idly to one another. They thought he wasn't paying attention, when really, he was.
   "Pierce suspects the daughter of Stark will interfere with HYDRA's work soon, despite being only six." one of the said to the other. "Rumours are going around that she knows how to break into Pentagon's data work from just her room."
   "No doubt she learnt from her father." another snorted. "Do you think Pierce is going to send word out for her to be executed?"
   "It'd be a shame if that were the case," the first scientist sighed, "imagine the things she could do for us when she's older. A mind going to waste so soon. . ."
***
He was watching her play on the swings in the park all alone, a lonely bodyguard not even looking out for her and was merely playing on his phone. If he was given the mission to assassinate the girl, he would have done it easily and framed it on her bodyguard. But he wasn't to kill the girl, but merely watch her and her patterns, find a way to kidnap her efficiently for HYDRA's use. He wasn't really sure why they needed her; he just did as he was told.
   He watched her as she noticed a mother duck and her ducklings crossing the road, one of the little ones tripping and falling on its side. She hopped off the swing and ran to the road, the bodyguard unaware of her moving. She was also not aware of an oncoming car. She was busy crouched on the ground, helping the duck cross to its mother.
   He watched the girl intrigued, realising for a moment that what he was doing was wrong; she was pure and innocent. She has done nothing wrong. She didn't deserve this.
   The car beeped loudly, speeding towards her uncontrollably, making the girl freeze up and scream. He acted upon instincts and went after her.
   He jumped out of his hiding place, grabbing her quickly and jumping out of the way of the car, saving her. He still laid on the ground, the girl on top of him protectively. He was torn from his shock when the girl started to cry from fright.
   "Isabella!" her bodyguard cried out, running towards them. The assassin set her gently on the ground, looking at her with his mouth mask still covering his identity. He gently shushed her, giving her head a small pat. She looked up at him with a small pout, tears pouring out of her eyes still.
   "It's okay," he told her lowly, "you're safe." He noticed a small flower near them and plucked it, giving it to her. "Stay safe."
   "Thank y-you, mister." she sniffed, grabbing the flower from him gently. Just as the bodyguard finally reached her, the Winter Soldier was already gone.

The next think he knew, the bodyguard that was supposed to look after her was fired.

***

And that continued for the next couple of years.

Whenever he's out on a mission, he'd always go back to the innocent girl and watch over her. A couple of times he had to save her, but other than that, she was safe most of the time thanks to her father being one of the famous billionaires.
   She noticed him as well whenever he saves her; occasionally she'd see him in the distance watching her but she never felt danger around him, but safety. She wanted to know who he was. All she knew was he had long brown hair that went to his chin, dull grey-blue eyes that yelled out torture and pain, and a metal arm. She couldn't even see his whole face because of the mask he wore around his nose and mouth.
   She wanted to talk to him, but whenever she did he would simply ignore her and run away after he's done his job. It wasn't until the DC incident did she find out who her protector was.
   She was helping Steve and Natasha who were fighting off HYDRA men in the streets, assisting a wounded Natasha over to a car. "Who are we fighting anyway, apart from HYDRA?" she asked the adult.
   "The. . .Winter Soldier. . ." Natasha breathed out through her pain, nodding to over the younger woman's shoulder. "Cap is having a crack at him."
   She followed the Black Widow's gaze and gasped at who Captain America was fighting. "It's. . .it's him," she whispered, "it's him, my protector."
   "What?" Natasha looked alarmed. "Your protector?" She didn't get an answer, since the younger woman foolishly went towards the men. "Rosalyn! Your father is going to kill me if you get hurt!"
   Rosalyn hurried to the fighting pair, pushing Steve to the side before he could get punched by the Winter Soldier. Steve's eyes widened when he realised it was Rosalyn who pushed him to the side. "Rosalyn -"
   "Stop!" she cried, facing her protector of many years. "Stop! Don't hurt him, please!"
   The Winter Soldier froze, arm still up for a punch to be sent. He stared at the now mature woman in the eyes, her chocolate brown eyes filled with pain and joy - why joy he had no idea. He lowered his arm.
   Using that to the advantage, Steve went to him and flipped him, getting his mask off. They now stood side by side, watching the assassin slowly get to his feet. They felt the breath escape from their lips when they realised who they were standing across.
   "Bucky?" Steve breathed out. Said man stared at them emotionlessly.
   "Who the hell is Bucky?" he asked the two before aiming a gun to Steve. Rosalyn moved in front of Steve, staring at the assassin pleadingly. He lowered his gun again, looking conflicted. Steve stared at the two bewildered.
   Suddenly a small missile came towards them just as Sam arrived, knocking Bucky away from the two, the missile exploding between them all. Rosalyn was knocked back, coughing from the smoke and feeling winded from her fall. She felt one metal and one flesh hand grab her, pulling her away from the chaos of HYDRA men arriving on site, arresting Steve, Natasha, and Sam Wilson.
   Rosalyn struggled in the person's grasp, trying to reach her friends. "Let go of me! I need to save them -"
   "You can't," a gruff voice replied, a voice Rosalyn recognised immediately, "you need to go somewhere safe."
   "Bucky?" She turned in the person's arms to see it was Bucky who took her to safety. "Why -"
   "Go find back up," he told her, finally backing away from her. "Don't go alone." And he left before she could say anything.
   "Why are you saving me all the time?" she asked to no one.

***

Despite being pulled away to safety, she still got captured thanks to Rumlow who spotted her wandering around thanks to cameras. She was ushered into a room in the SHIELD workplace where Alexander Pierce resided. And beside the man was none other than her 'protector'.
   "Miss Stark," Pierce smirked, "it's a pleasure to meet you -" he was cut off by the young woman spitting on his face, making everyone wince. Pierce held a deadly calm look though his eyes said otherwise.
   After cleaning his face off, he faced her calmly, only to backhand her. The assassin tensed from off to the side. "We've been keeping an eye on you, Miss Stark." he continued like nothing ever happened, walking towards the window. "And I'm here to recruit you to join HYDRA."
   "You wish," she scoffed, struggling in the guard's arms. "I am never joining your side. You harm innocent people - like him!" She nodded to the Winter Soldier who watched the scene stiffly.
   "Please," Pierce rolled his eyes. "He's not even innocent, he's killed over a dozen people and stalked you most of your life so we could find a way to kidnap you - though that turned out to be useless since we have you already."
   "What?" She stared at Bucky with hurt and denial. "All this time. . ." Suddenly the assassin sprung into action.
   Grabbing out his gun, he shot all of the guards in the room, in the end aiming it at Pierce who held his hands up defensively. The Winter Soldier made his way over to Rosalyn. She flinched when he went to caress her cheek. His eyes saddened at the action. "Go." he told her lowly. She looked at him in disbelief. "Go now, before it's too late. Go to your friends."
   "What?" she blinked. "But you - what about you -"
   "I will always be there to protect you, just remember that." Their foreheads connected momentarily before he backed away from her, gun still aimed at his boss. "Go now."
   Sending one last look to him, she hurried out of the building before anyone could notice. He lowered his gun from Pierce. "Who would have known that the Winter Soldier would break from some useless woman." he spat. "You're getting wiped as soon as we're done here."

The End

A/N: Part 2?