Spencer Reid (Letters series)

Letters

Allison Greene,
It was December the fifth, 1991, when we met.

I was at the park, with Mum. She was pushing me on the swing. Quite strange for a twelve year old. I also graduated during that time...

You were homeschooled, instead of going to school. It's a good thing you had that; school isn't very nice to most people.

Anyway, you were on the swing beside mine, minding your own business. You looked deep in thought that day. I was curious. Curious of you.

And I decided to talk to you.

A blessing, and a curse it was.

From,
Spencer Reid

***

Ally,
We became the best of friends after that day. With me graduated from school, and you being homeschooled, we found spending time together very easy and fun.

We had things in common; Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who...

You were the first friend I ever had.

And first love.

That happened when we were eighteen.

Spencer Reid

***

Ally,
You were there for me when Mum was taken away.

You helped me get better as time went on, assuring me that what I did was right. It is; she needs the help.

And then you helped me get into university. You knew a professor at Havard, and sent in a good word.

I still don't know why you didn't come with me to university. You had the talent and passion to continue on with writing - I know how much you love writing.

I don't know where I am going with this. I don't even know why I am writing these letters when you don't even exist in this world anymore.

...

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Wounds still tender, Spencer moved away from his desk, collapsing onto the sofa in his living room. He looked at his surroundings, everywhere he looked reminded him of her. The books: reminded him of her showing her books she thought he'd like. Sci-fi movies: reminded him of their late nights watching marathons of Star Trek and Doctor Who, followed by Star Wars. Piano: reminded him of her passionately playing the instrument and many others. Computer: reminded him of the times she'd be on it writing a story with rapt attention. Everything just reminded him of her, and too soon she left the world.

***

Ally,
I should have been with you that day. I should have came with you for Christmas shopping that day. I shouldn't have refused when you offered.

I regret that day.

I refused because I was getting our apartment ready. Ready for what, you say? Ready for when I...for when I propose to you.