Chapter 4 First Day Back

° OWEN °

Walking down the long, leaf covered path, my mind panics as we grow near to college. The golden brown leaves crunch as my shoe press down hard onto the delicate objects. The sky its usual boring January blueish grey, with maybe one bird in sight. The road is packed full of cars which are parked or either waiting at the traffic lights. The loud roar from one of the college buses makes me jump and stumble back.

"Pathetic." Olivia unkindly spits out.

"You ok?" I look up from my shoes to see Logan's torso curving and his eyes finding mine.

"Yeah." I manage to choke out a word.

Getting close I feel my stomach get tighter and my head and hands feel sweaty.
We're only coming back from the Christmas break but I still freak out. I don't talk to anyone in my class but Logan. Only talking to him made me obviously feel worse, and don't forget guilty. When he's concentrating I can't help but stare at his cute face, when he sticks out his tongue, when he smiles and giggles when he archives something, and don't forget about him getting offensive when someone tries to work with me.

Reaching the last crossing we step back into the familiar grounds of the college. As we cut through the small car park, Olivia unclamps her hand from Logan's and jogs over to her small posse. Without giving too much away I turn my head slightly, my eyes finding his face. His face isn't the Logan I know, a long frown is spread out, and his eyes drop its playful look.

I take a hold of his wrist. "Come on." My action and words grab his attention.

"Y-Yeah." I release his wrist and head into the building.

As we step into the main reception the whole surrounding is the same, minus the Christmas tree and presents. The original receptionist rises from her seat. As usual, a large warm smile grows on her face. Her cheeks are a deep pink and her lips a wash of magenta.

"Welcome back, I hope you had a wonderful holiday." With a shy smile and nod, I follow Logan into the atrium.

The warm air blows through the large open space along with the laughter and chatter from students. I stick by Logan's side as a mass rush of students head towards us. Continuing through the atrium the students who walk to us greet Logan and walk past. He's extremely popular in school, one of the best in the fine art department. Slightly jealous.

"We should head to class early." I nod and follow him out.

We turn the corner to our department, the walls changed from white to a pale wash of pink. Along the wall is our work from summer to winter. I feel embarrassed by seeing my work hung up on the pink tint background. Still eyeing up the work I notice Logan's work stuck next to mine. We both had completely different takes on decay. Logan's is an abandoned building and mine a woman whose skin is flaking away, on each piece of skin is a comment, something negative. See, completely different.

Taking a deep breath I turn my gaze away from the images and bring them back to the hall. We both enter the class which is occupied by two students, one being Millie and the other being Ben. As I see their faces I can't help but think about Saturday, Logan's lie and the fact he sees me as a brother. I know he isn't gonna see me any other way but it still hurts.

"Hey man." Ben's voice rough.

Logan leaves my side and joins the pair at the end of the room. I don't want to join him, who knows what lie he'll say this time. I walk around the table and find my usual seat, placing my bag on the floor and books on the desks. Hearing their voices sends harsh chills down my spine, even Logan's. I should do what I do best, ignore it, I take my earphones out of my pocket and place them in my ears. Loona solves everything for me.

I open my sketchbook, the lady with the black hair jumping out, something I'm still not proud of. Turning over the page I come face-to-face with another cold blank white page. Urg. The song Singing In The Rain begins to play and a spike of ideas rush into my head. I let my ideas fly away as my arm follows the flow and rhythm of the song.

JinSoul my favourite.

~~~***~~~

"Ok guys so you've seen how to use this technique, and now it's down to you. Working by yourself is possible but working in a group will help." Jessica stops talking and turns her back to us.

I turn back to my area, the new blank page staring intensely at me. It wasn't a task which needs two people but our lecturer thinks differently to others. Nothing wrong on her she's just a little crazy... In a good way, I promise. I guess I can work by myself, I'd rather do that, plus Logan didn't join me, so...

I go to take my pencil an unfamiliar voice stops me.
"Owen, wanna work with me?" I turn to see Dylan smiling at me.

I've never spoken to Dylan and nor did he ever speak to me. Kinda weird. I haven't actually taken a look at him properly, he was attractive to some extent, his eyes are a hazel brown which fits in with his light coffee hair, his lips are thin and his build is slightly wider than mine. I could see how people find him attractive but not to me because I've never taken notice before.

"What you say?" He speaks again.

"Oh, I was gonna work by myself but ye-."

"Excuse me." Another voice from behind cuts my words off.
"He's working with me." I crane my neck from Dylan to see Logan.

"Oh, I do-."

"I think he'll wanna work with me." Dylan cuts me off this time.

"Oh yeah, well he's mine." I wish.
"Owen." His eyes dart to mine, an uneasy stare.

"S-sorry Dylan." Logan gives a sly smirk to my comment and his victory.

"Whatever." Dylan clicks his tongue then leaves... I think I'm still looking at Logan.

His eyes just stare back into mine, his brown but beautiful. I don't know if I'm meant to say something or just keep staring. Even he isn't doing anything. Just one big staring contest. Help.

"So, you ready to draw?" Finally, his words break this awkward mess.

"Yes." He smiles then takes the seat next to mine, his original seat.

I pick up my pencil and start the first strokes of my piece. A soft hand falls onto mine, stopping me from continuing. I turn my head to see Logan looking at me. My cheeks begin to burn as the warmth from his smooth gentle skin is touching mine.

"You have to do it like this." Turning my head back he guides my arm around the page. Of course, I can't concentrate, he's got a hold of my hand.

"T-thanks, but I thought I was doing it right." A light chuckle leaves his lips.

"You were, but this is the correct way." I can't think straight. I need help.

"Logan, Owen." His hand immediately leaves mine and he lets out a low cough.
"Everyone had decided to work in groups and Dylan hasn't got a partner, may he work with you."

"Sure." Jessica smiles at my quick reply but I can't help but take in the small groan from behind me.

"Thanks."

I turn back to Logan, his body turned to his desk, his head looking down and his hand moves quickly across his page. He doesn't look back to me but keeping the focus on his work. A small tug on my sleeve leeches my attention.

"Can you help me." Dylan's voice goes soft and sweet, completely different than before.

"Sure." He smiles, his chair scraps along the floor as he moves closer.

This time I hear that tongue click by Logan, he didn't seem to like Dylan, he seems fine to me. Not thinking any more about Logan I train my focus to Dylan and our work.

Urg, I hate the first day back.