He sighed but didn't object to my change in subject. It wasn't that I didn't want to know what happened with his ex—learning more would probably help me understand his triggers and insecurities better. He didn't seem open to talking about her, though, and I didn't want to pry.

"What time do you want to go?" he asked.

"Anytime."

His fingers inched further up my thigh before hooking over the waistband of my sweatpants. My breathing hitched as his nails brushed my bare skin.

"Maybe we can go in a little," he murmured, eyes fixed on my lips. The heat in his gaze left me clenching my thighs.

"Okay," I squeaked.

He traced the hem of my panties, sending a shiver down my back. I instinctively sucked in my tummy and he frowned.

"Relax," he ordered, his command gentle but firm. "You're beautiful, baby. You have absolutely nothing to be self-conscious about."

"I'm sorry." My cheeks heated as I ducked my gaze. "It's a habit."

His eyes hardened and jaw ticked. "Why is that?"

He sunk his hand deep into my panties, cupping my sex. My breath quickened. I was so torn between my lust and shame.

Jarrod had seen me naked plenty of times, so I didn't even know why I felt the need to hide my wobbly bits from him. He knew I wasn't a supermodel. He didn't expect that of me, nor did he care.

Swallowing down my terror, I nestled myself deeper into his side in the hopes that he would see my pain and relent. He pinched my labia and I jerked upright.

Persistent bastard.

"Don't make me ask again."

I bit my lip but he used his free hand to tug the swollen tissue free. Meanwhile, his fingers strummed through my wetness. My heart throbbed in the base of my throat.

"I'm just self-conscious," I whispered. "I always have been."

"Always?" He clicked his tongue to his teeth. "No, we aren't born that way, sweetheart. Who made you think this way?"

Squeezing my eyes shut, I fought the whimper on my tongue. He circled my clit and grazed his lips to mine without kissing.

"Did he make you feel bad about yourself?" His razored voice elevated my body temperature.

"Sometimes."

"Open your eyes, Leah."

This was embarrassing on so many levels. I didn't want him to see this side of me. I felt so weak and vulnerable.

Without warning, he pinched my clit this time. I gasped and my eyelids bolted open. My walls spasmed at his violence, pleasure building in my core.

His teeth flashed menacingly. "What did I tell you this morning about your body?"

I couldn't breathe much less think straight when he was touching me like this, but I didn't want to get pussy-pinched again. Despite my struggling, I scavenged my memory. He said a lot of things.

"Y-You said that I'm yours?" More heat poured into my face as I stammered.

"That's right, baby." He kissed me deeply on the lips, like a reward. "Every inch of your perfect little body belongs to me now. Nothing anyone has ever said about you or your body matters anymore. Only what I say matters."

He licked and sucked at the hickey on my neck and I moaned through the pain. Two of his fingers penetrated me, sliding slowly in and out of me.

"Fuck," I cried. I didn't know how much more of this I could take; he had me right on the edge already.

"Understand?" He nipped my ear and rubbed his thumb against my clit, continuing to stroke his fingers inside me.

"Yes," I gasped. "Yes!"

He curled the finger inside me and I grabbed onto him while waves of staticky pleasure crashed over me. Animal noises streamed uncontrollably from my mouth.

"Good girl," he purred, kissing me. "Very good."

My heart flapped at his praise. As I came down from my high, I felt overwhelmingly tired and rested my head on his shoulder.

He tousled my hair and kissed my temple. "You look like you need a nap. Why don't you take one and I'll come back later to pick you up for our date?"

I perked up. I'd forgotten about our bowling plans. Even if it meant making a fool of myself, I was excited to do something fun.

"Okay." I beamed. "What time?"

"Let's say six." Brushing the hair from my face, he leaned down and kissed me softly on the lips. "I'll see you very soon, honey."

My insides felt like they'd been tossed around in a martini shaker. When would I be willing to admit that I was ready to marry this man?

I tried to shake those dangerous thoughts while listening to the door click shut after Jarrod. Even so, my fluttering heart signaled the lingering impact this man already had over me.