Chapter 40

Rachael:

Can't this car go any faster? I mutter to myself. I'm speeding down the road, almost running every red light. Luke's in the back, holding Rowan and panicking as if he's dying. I've been trying to call Rosie, but the stubborn girl hasn't answered.

"Wait! Where are you going?" Luke asks from the back.

"Are you serious? The hospital, obviously." I snap.

"No. We can't go there. They'll ask too many questions. We have a doctor who's a part of our gang." Luke pauses, texting something on his phone. "I just texted you the address. Now hurry!"

I roll my eyes, "I'm already speeding enough as it is. The last thing we need is to get pulled over."

Luke doesn't comment.

I finally pull up to a dark building. It looks pretty normal for a place that fixes up gang members. There's no other cars here, which makes me worried.

"Is your doctor even here?" I ask doubtfully.

Luke nods, "Yeah. We just need to go through the back. I have the key code. He lives here too."

I drive the car to the back and park as close to the door as possible. I barely turn the car off before Luke's already opening the car door and rushing towards the entrance. He's strong, so he easily carries Rowan inside, not struggling for a second.

Once we're inside, Luke leads me through some hallways and doors. I finally see a light illuminating from a closed door.

"West! It's Luke! We need help!" Luke shouts from outside the closed door.

The door is flung open, revealing a middle aged man, who is covered in tattoos all over his body. The man, who I'm assuming is West looks alarmed at Luke's frantic voice.

"What's the problem?" West asks gruffly.

"She was shot. Her name's Rowan. She's from the gang in Manchester." Luke nods to me, "And that's her sister Rachael."

West studies me for a second, "Wow. I've never seen such identical twins before. You guys are like clones of each other!" West chuckles.

"West! My girl needs help! We can joke around after you fix her." Luke scolds.

West raises a brow, "Your girl?"

"West!"

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Let's get her to the operating room. I need to see what I'm dealing with."

We all follow West into a small operating room. Luke places Rowan gently onto the table and takes a step back.

I'm getting an actual clear look at Rowan now. Before, I was in a hurry and it was dark, so I didn't really get the chance to look at her. Now that I do though, I realize how much blood there is. The blood has seeped through her shirt and her arm is even bleeding too.

"You guys can leave for now. I'll come get you when I'm done. Get some sleep even, especially you, Luke. I promise Rowan will be fine."

I nod my head and start to make my way towards the door, but stop when I realize Luke's not following me. I sigh, walking back over to him, "C'mon Luke. Let's get some water." I have to pull him to leave.

"I can't believe this happened." Luke mutters, rubbing his hands over his face. "I should've been there. I could've pushed her out of the way."

"Luke. You know there is nothing you could have done. We all needed to separate and it was dark. We could all barely see."