Chapter 9

Rowan:

The night is drawing to an end. And I'm getting super tired. Dad's speech was quick, but the moment he finishes, he's drawn into the crowd of people. People crowd him so they can introduce themselves and hopefully become friends with him.

When I get tired, I get moody. I also get moody when it's that time of the month and when I'm hungry. I can tell Rachael and Rosie are falling asleep too, but Mom told us she needed us to stay a little longer for something important.

"I'm going to find Mom and ask if we can go home now. I'm so fucking done with tonight. I just want to go to bed and never get up." Rachael says, looking around the room. The moment she says this, a man in a black suit clears his throat.

"Excuse me, ladies, but please follow me. Your parents have requested to talk to you." He gestures for us to follow him. We're led away from the main area and up a flight of stairs. The hall we walk down is decorated with fancy vases and large photos of landscapes. He suddenly stops in front of a set of two large double doors. Two other men are standing outside, presumably guarding. "Right through these doors."

The doors are pushed open and we see our parents sitting at a long glass table. The room is slightly dimmed, only being lit by a fireplace. Once the doors are shut, I notice other figures also in the room.

I recognize two of them as Luke... and Ashlyn. They're accompanied by their parents. Everyone's sitting around the table, looking like they're waiting for us.

"Girls. I think you remember the Wilson's and Carter's. We need to talk about something very important." Dad says to us.

"Yes, it's very important that the information given tonight is not leaked." Mrs. Wilson, Ashlyn's mom says.

"Well then can we get on with it? Some of us wants to go to bed." Ashlyn snaps.

"I kinda like this girl." Rachael whispers to me. She's going to take that back.

"Rachael, Rowan, Rosie, we will be joining with the Los Angeles Gang for awhile. That's the reason we've moved here. Your mother and I have been helping with this gang for the past six months and they need help. So we have our first assignment for the five of you kids.

Johnathan Hunter, a notorious drug dealer and producer. He has connections all over the world, but mostly works in Los Angeles. We heard recently that he has partnered with another man named Rico Montez. Rico is a famous assassin." Dad informs us.

Mr. Carter starts to talk. "Recently, there have been lots of murders all around California. Most of them have been here, in LA. We need to take down both Johnathan and Rico. They're both highly dangerous and a threat to many lives.

Of course we don't want you guys involved in much yet. Not until we have more information. We need you guys to get close with a girl named Kylie Parker. She, herself may not be dangerous. We don't know. But her father may have connections with Rico. The biggest challenge will be finding Johnathan. He's only been seen in the public a few times."

My mom cuts in, "I know this may be hard, but you five must work together. I know it might be difficult working with new people," Mom looks at the three of us. I shrug innocently. "But, this assignment is very dangerous. It might not seem like that right now, but the deeper we get into this, it will get harder. You guys need to find a way to work secretly together and come up with a plan."

"Are you serious?" Ashlyn interrupts. "I have to work with the tantrum triplets? You've got to be kidding me." She rolls her eyes.

"Shut your mouth junior, you're no walk in the park either." I snap.