Chapter 34

Rowan:

I zip up my black gown and stare at myself in the mirror. Tonight's the night of the gala. I wish I could say I'm nervous about something going bad tonight or running into Johnathan or Rico. I'm actually nervous about acting as a couple with Luke.

Knowing my uncontrollable emotions and hormones, I know they're going to go wild the moment a tux clad Luke walks into the room.

I check my phone, 7:34pm. Luke will be here to pick me up in about ten minutes. Rosie and Rachael are driving together and are planting the tracking devices under Johnathan and Rico's cars.

I make my way downstairs and notice Rosie and Rachael in their disguises, ready to blend in. They're both dressed as security, that way they can have access to the parking garage.

"You look sexy." Rachael grins at me, "Is the dress new?"

"Thank you, and yes, the dress is new." I give a little twirl and she gives me another nod in approval.

"Ro! Luke's here!" Rosie yells from the front door.

I turn around immediately and see Luke standing in the kitchen doorway. He's dressed in a midnight black tux with a gray tie. His hair has been styled and he has an expensive watch on his left wrist.

I can't help but ogle slightly at the sight of him. I'd feel embarrassed, but at the moment, Luke is also checking me out.

Luke roams his eyes up and down my length. His eyes have widened and I'm not sure if he realizes that his mouth has slightly opened.

My thoughts are interrupted when I hear a cough beside me. I turn to look at Rachael and Rosie who are both grinning like idiots.

I roll my eyes at them and turn back to face Luke.

"You—you look absolutely beautiful Rowan." Luke smiles at me, taking a step closer.

I blush slightly. I've been complimented many times before, but hearing it come from Luke makes my heart sore.

"Thank you. You don't look that bad either." I smile.

"Are you guys good with the plan? You know what's happening and what you need to do?" Rachael asks us.

Luke nods, "Locate Rico and Johnathan, and see if they're dealing any drugs tonight."

Rachael nods her head in approval, "Great." Rachael pauses, looks at Rosie, then back at Luke and I, "There is something—"

The sound of the doorbell interrupts Rachael.

"I'll get it." Rosie comments, already making her way towards the door.

Luke steps closer to me, "You really do look stunning. I don't think I'll be able to focus much tonight." Luke leans into whisper in my ear, "Especially since you're my date."

My eyes widen slightly.

Stop it Rowan. You can't go falling for him, especially since he'll probably just break your heart.

I'm about to respond when I look up and my words cut off.

There, standing in the doorway, is none other than Flynn Davies.

My eyes widen at the sight of him. Not just because he's here, but also because he's wearing a tux too. He's grinning from ear to ear and he has his arms stretched out.

"Flynn!" I exclaim, running over to him and wrapping him up in a big, un-lady like, bear hug.

He chuckles softly as I wrap my arms around his neck.