Chapter 39

Rosie:

I zip up the side of my black dress and give myself a final nod. I'm on my way to Kylie's parent's funeral. I wanted Rowan and Rachael to come along but they said it would be odd since they didn't know Kylie and didn't want to draw any attention.

I've gotten close with Kylie. Not for the assignment or to gain intel. Believe it or not, Kylie is a great friend. Her parents were just as nice. I could never see her parents working with Johnathan Hunter. In fact, I was going to tell Rowan and Rachael my thoughts about Kylie's parents not being involved with Hunter, but then I was informed that Kylie's parents were murdered.

I learned about the murders in the meeting, and later that evening, Kylie had called me. She was crying her heart out and I shed a few tears myself. Kylie's an only child, so she doesn't have any siblings to lean on.

I look at the time. If I leave now, I'll be able to make it a few minutes early.

"I'm leaving! I'll see you guys in a couple hours!" I call out into the living room.

Rowan's sitting, or I should say snuggling on the couch with Luke. Rachael's also in the living room, but she seems to be focused on the computer.

Rachael's head snaps up at the sound of my voice, "Oh, great! When you're there, maybe ask Kylie if she knows anything else about her parent's involvement with Hunter?"

I'm not sure if it's Rachael's tone, or Rowan's lack of interest, but I'm suddenly mad and annoyed at the both of them.

"Are you serious right now?" I ask, irritation in my voice.

Rachael, Rowan, and even Luke look at me, shock on their faces. I'm not surprised. I'm not one to usually get mad of upset at many things.

"What?" Rachael asks.

"Could you maybe for once, take your head out of your ass and for once use your heart?" I exclaim. Once I've exploded, it's like my mouth doesn't want to stop, "All you ever care about is the gang and this assignment. You never even try to care about others!" I look over at Rowan, shock evident on her face, "And you Rowan, you've been so secretive lately! And lately, all you care about is your new boyfriend! When was the last time you just hung out with your sisters?" I practically yell.

By the time I've finished my rant, I'm breathing hard. Rachael and Rowan are stunned into complete silence and even Luke looks a bit awkward.

Without another word or glance, I turn on my heel and pretty much run for the door.

I sit in my car in silence. Oh God. What have I just done?

The Rosie back there was not me at all. I don't know what got to me. Tonight, we're all going to the warehouse to scope out the place, but I'm not sure if I should go anymore. It's not like they actually need me.

I've clearly made a big mess and I don't want to bring any drama or distractions into this assignment.

My parents always say, leave personal stuff out of the gang.

My phone buzzes with a text. I grab my phone quickly, hoping it's Rachael or Rowan, but it's not. It's just a text from Kylie asking where I am.

Great, now I'm late for the funeral.

***

Rowan:

After Rosie's rant, Rachael just shrugged her shoulders, mumbled something about Rosie PMS-ing, and then decided to train for tonight.

Luke squeezed my hand for support and I give him a quick kiss.

"Are you ready for tonight?" Luke asks me, worry edging his voice.