Chapter 40

It's been weeks since we've had a good place to sleep. We've been camping out in the back seats or cars or back alley ways with one of us on watch. We even slept inside a dumpster for a night. The weather was progressively getting colder the further we travelled and we weren't prepared to say the least.

"Hey what about in here?" I whispered to 10k. I was pointing at a small grocery store on the corner of a street. The windows were intact which was a good sign. I watched as he look at it, squinting his eyes as he stepped out from behind the car we were currently hiding behind. "Yeah it will have to do," he said bluntly.

Normally I would have been concerned at the tone of his voice, but in this situation it was understandable. There was a group of bandits somewhere in this small town and we didn't want to run into them...again.

A few days ago we awoke to shouting and gunshots and before we could grab our guns we were surrounded by big, burly men. I didn't see one woman that day, even when they took us back to their camp. It was a stressful day, hell that was an under statement.

I was almost killed, electrocuted buy a man named Doyle. I pressed a hand to my rib and still felt a twinge of pain. The look on 10k's face when he saw me... Cut up and bruised... It was enough to break my heart.

We escaped yesterday morning and we're trying to get the hell out of here. The bandits were still here somewhere, only a small town, not too many places to hide.

Once we were inside 10k ordered me to check the isle's as he checked the back room. He was still worried sick about me, it didn't help I winced every time we had to run.

"Clear," I heard his muffled voice as I started to cram cans into my tattered rucksack. "Everything okay out here?" He asked as he put a hand on the small of my back to squeeze past me in the narrow isle's. I nodded my head and placed my hand on his chest, stopping him from moving. He looked down at me with an anxious look on his face. "What is is? What's wrong?" He asked quietly and cupped my cheek with his left hand. I gulped and shut my eyes, tears threatening to spill. "I just..." I whispered but stopped to inhale deeply. "I just want to be safe, Tommy," I sobbed into his chest as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Hey, hey shhh. I've got you baby, your always gonna be safe with me, okay? I'm gonna do everything I can to keep you safe. We are gonna get out of this hell hole and find a nice little cabin to secure and call our own okay?" He soothed as he rubbed small circles on my cheek with his thumb.

I looked him in the eyes. "You really mean that?".
"Of course I do Jaime! I love you," he pressed a soft kiss to my lips and I wrapped my arms around his torso, burying my face into the crook of his neck. "I love you too," I murmured and we stood like for what seemed like an hour. It was silent, but surprisingly not an awkward or uncomfortable silence.

Eventually we broke away and finished looting the store, quietly exiting through the back door and down the back streets. He pointed towards a old building with a new extension added on the front. I squinted to read the sign planted squarely on the front lawn. Bow Bela's Care Home. I looked at him and shook my head. He raised an eyebrow at me. I sighed and shook my head.

"Are you serious? An old persons home?" I whispered and widened my eyes. He glanced over at the building and contemplated it. After a few seconds after, he turned back to be and placed his hand in mine. "We don't have a choice Jaime, if we get through and out the back it's a straight run through the woods and then out of here," his eyes were wide as he scanned the wide open street.

"10k the street is too exposed, the bandits could see us easily!" I argued, feeling my heart rate pick up at the thought of being captured again. He sighed and squeezed my hand. The look in his eyes pulled at my heart strings. I closed my eyes and breathed in. Slowly I nodded my head, it was the only thing we could do. I trusted 10k. He would get us out of here safely.

"On the count of 3," he let go of my hand and I tightened the straps on my backpack. I nodded my head and prepared myself for the pain my ribs would be in from the running.
1
I focused on the door across the cluttered street.
2
C'mon Jaime you got this.
3
Run.

10k and I sprinted as fast as we could across the desolate street. It was weird that there was no Z's about, but I guess the bandits keep them away. The ground pounded under my feet as I ran. A sharp, stabbing pain pulsed from my ribs and breathing was becoming harder. My lungs felt like they were burning. Maybe that bastard did more damage then I thought.

10k abruptly stopped just before we made it to the front door. "What? C'mon we need to get inside!" I began to fiddle with the locked door. He slowly turned and starred down the street. "Can you hear that?" He asked and raised his gun. I stopped moving and strained my ears to listen. I couldn't hear anything over the sound of my own heart pumping. Once I calmed down I could here it.

A hearty growl of a big engine. My heart dropped and I felt the colour drain from my face. "Get down" 10k dived towards me and dragged me to the ground, crawling hastily over to the short hedges.

We stayed crouched there for 5 minutes before a large truck drove past. I felt my body becoming warmer and I felt like I was choking. My chest was tight and my mind was fuzzy. My breath was coming in shorts raspy inhales. I prayed that they would keep going, I said it over and over and over again in my head as I held onto to 10k's hand, squeezing it so tight I could crush his bones.

Please god I'm asking you, let them drive past without stopping.

I felt like my heart stopped when I heard the truck stop and voices shouting. "Over there, the shop door is open!" A familiar voice grunted and I squeezed my eyes shut. Not now, I can't have a panic attack right now!

"Hey Jaime breath, okay breath," 10k's raspy voice was barley audible as his mouth was right next to my ear. I grabbed his arm and wrapped it around me as I breathed in his scent. He had become used to helping me with panic attacks, which was something I wasn't happy admitting. No matter how strong I pretended to be, this was something I couldn't help and it made me weak.

"Where could they have gone?" A man shouted, breaking the silence. Why were they still looking for us? What did we have that they wanted. "Is it even worth looking for them? I mean, they've probably already booked it out of here or been munched on," A some what drunk voice slurred. I crossed my fingers in hope that they would just call of the search. "That kid was the best shot we've seen in 2 years, the boss wants him. As for the girl.... the boss doesn't care, which means she fair play boys!" The leader of the group belted out a laugh and everyone chuckled and I heard a few creepy comments. 10k's arm tensed around me.

"Spread out, you guys take East side, you guys take the South side and we'll take the care home and school on the North side!" Someone barked out orders and I heard several sets of footsteps running off. "We starting here sir?".
"Yeah, we'll search here before heading to the school. Spike go unlock the door!".

Oh no.