Chapter 18

It had been 8 days since we had found the note from the strangers. No one had come back, not the others or the strange men.

"Listen all I'm saying is maybe we should go to California!" 10k shouted as he plunged his weapon into the decaying Z's head. I rolled my eyes, swinging my crowbar to kill another Z. "And what happens if the group wasn't with them people and we show up and get killed or kidnapped?" I shouted back. We finished killing the small group of Z's and head back inside. 10k thought we should leave soon but I disagreed, something about that note felt off.

"Babe," He sighed, that was something he said a lot recently, "I've told you we wouldn't go straight into the lab and wait for them! We would stay in the surrounding area and see if we see them there,".
"I'd rather not risk it, they still might come back here!".
"Jaime! They are not coming back. They're probably halfway to California by now!".
"And what if they're not? What if we get there and they never show! What if they are all dead and we show and we get killed next? I'd rather not die!" I screamed and turned away from him. I heard him breathe heavily before he stormed off back outside. I sighed deeply and walked into the bedroom we have been sharing for the past week. We moved into the second bedroom 2 night after we got here because the window opened out into the garden providing us with an easy escape exit.

I pushed the door open and slammed it behind me loudly. I threw my crowbar onto the floor and closed my eyes tightly as I stood there shaking. I hated fighting with him, I really hated it. I knew he was mad at me for talking about myself dying. He had told me ,last time we had a fight, he hated it when I said I might die because he didn't want to think about me dying. This then resulted in a longer argument about how we are all gonna die sooner or later. I stepped over to the bed and buried my face into the pillow. I didn't want 10k to be mad at me, I knew we should leave but I desperately wanted to others to just come strolling through the front door, smiling and telling us about this crazy adventure they had and how they were glad we waited for them. I stayed like this for an hour, refusing to cry or scream in anger at myself.

If 10k stayed mad at me for ever, I wouldn't be able to leave him and go find the others, I wouldn't be able to be without him. I needed to apologise. I finally got up and rubbed my face. I scraped my hair out of my face and into a tight high ponytail. My leg muscles tightened around my scar on my calf when I stood, making me wince a little. This time I didn't have 10k to make me feel better. I grabbed my rifle and machete before marching out the front door.

The wind was cool and the sun was starting to set, I had about an hour and a half before it sets completely. I started to walk down the empty streets, my eyes scanning every possible place he could be. I turned at the end of the street and crept through the forest, tightening my grip on my machete and listening for any movement. It didn't take long before I was down by the river, stood by the familiar rock where I had found him last time we fought.  He was smart, he wouldn't go back to the same place if he didn't want to be found. I sighed, tears pricking at my eyes, and turned back to the road.

The sun had set 1 hour ago and I was still looking for him. I almost had a heart attack when I saw a Z wearing similar clothes to him with black hair. I quickly killed it and shook my head, I needed to get back before it got even later. I let the hot tears roll down my face as I turned back towards the house. I saw the house 10 minutes later at the end of the street. I could see someone stood by the kitchen window. I watched them look at me before they disappear. Instantly, I grabbed my rifle and dived behind a car.

"Jesus Christ can I please get a break," I muttered as I focused my scope. Somebody opened the front door and started to jog down the vacant street. The person pulled own their own weapon and I can see the silhouette of their head snapping in different directions. "Jaime? Jaime is that you?" I heard the familiar voice asked hesitantly. I stood up and slung my rifle over my shoulder and stepped forward. "Over here," I said. He looked straight at me, running towards me and wrapping me in the tightest hug I have ever received from him. He buried his face in my hair I had long since let down again. "I was so worried!" His voice cracked. Had he been crying? I pulled back and he looked at me worried, I smiled sadly and gently wrapped his hand in mine. "I'm okay. I was out looking for you," I whispered shyly. He nodded his head and squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Come on babe, let's go to bed, it's late," He said as he started walking back to the house.

We stood facing each other in the entrance hall awkwardly. He had lit a small candle and placed it on the small table by the door, he made sure the windows were blocked before he had lit it. I stared at his poorly lit face biting my lip. I couldn't think of anything to say. I was the one who fucked up. My eyes burned and I tried to blink the hot tears away. I wasn't very successful as one slipped down my cheek. Before it even reached halfway down my cheek, 10k's soft hand was wiping it away. He looked at me with pain in his eyes before slowly leaning forward. He was hesitant and wasn't moving much closer so I placed my hand on the back of his head and pulled him to my lips. His lips moved perfectly with mine and his hand rested on my hips, pulling me against him. I knew from the passion and emotion in this kiss that he wasn't mad at me anymore.