Chapter 2

Everybody greeted me kindly and I could feel them all watching me with careful eyes.

"So where you heading?" Warren asked me with a hand placed solidly on her hip, giving me a once over. We were stood on the road in a little semi circle, the coldness of the morning starting to disappear as the sun rose higher into the sky. I cleared my throat from the nerves, "I was heading into New York,".

Mac stepped forward from behind Addy. He looked at me, with a small smile pulling at his lips, his hand discreetly intertwining with Addy's. "You don't wanna go back there, a massive herd is making its way through the city." He spoke with confidence, hinting at a bold personality. Warren and Charles nodded in agreement. "Total dead zone, so why don't you come with us?" Addy said with a dramatic yet hopeful tone in her voice, looking at Warren and Charles for approval.

I looked at them too, hoping they said yes. I couldn't be alone again after being this close to people. I craved human presence for my sanity to stay intact. Warren looked at Charles and he nodded a few times. "I don't see why not, always useful having another pair of eyes and ears. And I'm guessing you can shoot that gun?" He questioned.

I nodded, happily looking down at my well used rifle, and answered him proudly, "I've been shooting since I was probably about 11 or 12. I'm 18 now.".

He nodded again and looked at Warren who was smiling, she looked a lot more welcoming now. "You're welcome to come along with us," Charles said to me and placed his hands on his belt in a non threatening way.

I looked around at everyone. They all seemed to display a welcoming look except Murphy and 10k. I looked into 10ks' eyes, he was staring at me without a smile on his face. I nodded my head and instantly a smile appeared on his face." I appreciate it.".

A small whoop came from Addy and she placed a hand on my shoulder. "I'm so happy to have another girl around!" She squealed and I smiled even wider, laughing softly.

"Do you need to grab anything from your camp before we leave?" Doc asked scratching his white beard. "Yes, I have supplies. I can share them," I exclaimed generously.

"Thank you, that's very kind of you." Charles grinned placing a hand on my shoulder. He turned to walk back to the car and everyone followed.

Warren and Charles climbed back into the front with Warren driving. Doc jumped into the row of seats behind them and patted the seat next to him with a grin. I slid in and Murphy climbed in next to me, bunching up as much as he could to keep away from me.

I looked at him. His hair was messy and it covered most of his dirty face. He was shaky and seemed incredibly nervous for some reason, and I guess it wasn't just because I was female. His eyes met mine and he flashed a small, awkward smile before looking at the floor. There was a bang on the roof and we started driving.

"So where about is your camp?" Warren asked me. I leaned forward and said, "It's a house about fifteen minutes away, right on the side of the road. It has a blue broken down mini in the driveway,". She nodded at my description and I sat back.

"So tell me about yourself," Doc asked from my right. "What is there to know?" I chuckled. "Well, tell me about YOU," He laughed and emphasised the you.

"My name is Jaime Bell and I'm 18, I think. What month is it?" I laughed when Doc shrugged his shoulders, continuing with a smile. "I was still in school when all this started. My parents weren't around a lot but when they were, they were very strict. I was an only child but I had a neighbour who was like a brother."

"His name was Parker and he was 12. I lived in New York my whole life and when everything started to go to shit my parents-" My voice cracked as tear sting my eyes. I took a deep breath in.

"My parents were both bitten when they saved me. They gave me a bag and drove me to the edge of town. They made me leave. I didn't, no I couldn't put them down." I finished, staring at the floor as nightmares flooded my brain, pushing tears up into my eyes.

Doc put a hand on my back reassuringly and smiled. "I'm sorry kid, that's a lot for someone to deal with. I'm sure they just didn't want you to see them if they turned." He said quietly and I noticed Charles and Warren nod.

My muscles tightened. "There's no if about it. They did turn and I put them down a month later when I went for supplies." My voice went cold just as we pulled up outside my house. Talk about good timing.

Doc let me out and Warren shouted. "10k you go with her, just in case," she smiled at me for the last part. 10k jumped out of the back and smiled at me. "Shall we?" I said with a goofy tone and he chuckled.

As we walked towards the house, I looked up at him. "So what kind of name is 10K?" I asked with a giggle. He looked to the floor with a soft smile. "It's how many Z's I'm going to kill," he said simply. I nodded my head and looked to the floor, excepting his simple answer.

We walked in and I headed straight for the kitchen. I pulled out small bags of of MREs. "Jesus , I thought you were low on supplies?" 10k asked in shock. I laughed and started to pull things from the cupboards as well. His eyes widened even more. "The MREs are for emergency's only," I giggled. He walked over to help me with the container of water. "I'll take this out to the truck and I'll come back for the bags, " He smiled warmly.

"Okay I'm gonna go grab some stuff from upstairs," I informed him. He strolled outside and I ran up the creaky steps. I stuffed clothes and weapons into my backpack, knowing I was leaving this place in my dust.

I slowed as I grabbed the picture of me and my parents and one of me Parker and I. I carefully folded them and slip them into the front pocket of my bag.

Once I was back downstairs I grabbed the last bags of food and headed back outside, leaving the door open. 10ks muscles flexed as he put the crates into the back and I can't help but bite my lip.

"Damn Jaime, MRE's? Where'd you get these?" Addy exclaimed, grabbing my attention. Warren laughed and smiled. "You sure as hell didn't find these in the local corner store,".

I laughed and brushed them off as I jumped into the cargo bed with 10k and Doc. Addy and Mac had swapped to sit inside. I hopped in and hit the side of the truck, telling Warren we were good to go.

~~~~~~~

Vote and comment x

✔️