Chapter 30

"So, Citizen Z said this place is the new California? Doctor Merch is in there?" Murphy questioned and looked over the small building CZ had directed us too. It was a metal building with a roll up door and no windows from what I could see.

Warren continued to discuss a plan with Doc and Murphy while 10k leaned in close and whispered in my ear, "What do you think about this place?". I shrugged my shoulders and looked straight ahead. I had hardly spoken to anyone since my little outburst.

"Jaime, you can't ignore us forever. I get that we aren't going to be 100% fine all the time. It's the apocalypse for crying out loud! But we all understand that sometimes people have to die, although we might not like it, it has to be done. Trust me-," He was interrupted by Murphy jumping up and sliding open the door, climbing out towards the swarm of zombies.

"Damn it Murphy," Warren cussed. He walked over to the crowd of zombies and stood among them and turned to us. He held open his arms and smiled smugly. This asshole was trying to prove a point. He swaggered back over to us and opened the door again.

"Well? Get out and stay close," He ordered and motioned for us to get out. I was the only one to stand up but before I could hop down out of the van, a hand stopped me. I look back to see 10k with pleading eyes. "Jaime have you seen how many are out there?" He pleaded. I shake his hand off and jump out. "Murphy can walk with the Z's," I stated simply as if that was the inky answer I could provide.

After more convincing, everyone else stood around outside. The Z's were so focused on getting inside that they didn't notice us as we crept up behind them. "Well, come on, group hug!" Murphy said and snaked a hand around my waist, pulling me close. I watched out of the corner of my eye as 10k started to walk towards us, with an enraged look on his face. I rolled my eyes, sick of his over protectiveness, and I instantly pushed my self away from Murphy and shoved him away.

He stumbled and looked at me with disbelief on his face. Did he really expect me to let him hold me like that, his dirty hands wondering all over my torso. 10k appeared beside me and I placed a hand on his chest to stop him from hitting Murphy. "Don't touch me, ever again," I spat at him with venom leaking into my voice. This whole apocalypse thing was starting to get too much.

We all crowded around Murphy tightly, I stood on the outside, and we start to shuffle towards the door. "I better be one of the first to get the goddamn vaccine once we get inside," I muttered as we walk through the Z's.

One Z reached out a hand towards me but Murphy ordered it away. I grabbed onto 10k's hand and squeezed it tightly, a hot spring of fear jumping up my spine. He looked at me and squeezed it back, pulling it up to his mouth and kissing it softly. His lips lingered for a few seconds before our hands fell back to our side, still connected.

Warren punched in the code for the door and it opened automatically. We all piled in and it slammed shut behind us. "Well, let's never do that again," Doc chuckled nervously. "Agreed," I muttered and sucked in a deep breath. Everyone looked at me and I looked back at them.

"I'm sorry for exploding," I whispered, finding this the perfect time to apologise for my silly hormonal actions. Warren nodded and hugged me, letting me know everything was okay, that they weren't mad at me. I smiled weakly and Doc, Warren and Murphy started to walk ahead. 10k stayed with me, his eyes lingering in the ground before they flicked up and met mine. He strode up to me and grabbed my face with both his hands.

"Tommy, I-I-I_" I stuttered. He shushed me and laughed lightly. "It's fine. Nothing more to be said," He kissed me gently before pulling away. It was a short and sweet kiss but it was still enough to make me weak at the knees. "Now c'mon," He chuckled and took my hand, leading me towards the others.

I stopped in my tracks when I entered the first room. Decaying corpses littered the small room, a rancid smell filled my nostrils. It was strange how adapted we all became to the smell of death. On one side of the space, shelves towered up towards the roof, and the other side was a table with people sat around.

Some of the people lay with there heads on the table while some just slumped in their chairs. "What happened here?" I whispered and held my hand over my nose. The stench from the rotting bodies was extremely strong, it almost made my eyes water. "Looks like someone's birthday party didn't go to plan," Warren stated and poked at a birthday cake that sat on the table.

"Happy birthday Doctor Kur-. Hmmm wonder who was celebrating?" Doc hummed and tilted his head to the side. Murphy pushed forward and snatched the last rose from the cake, "Dibz!" He exclaimed. Everyone glared at him. "What, the vaccine makes me crave sugar," He smiled innocently.

Doc chuckled, "Well, when you start craving brains, let me know,".