Cool In College

"You can trust me again, I swear!" Jake told me from where we stood next to his car in the school parking lot. His shorter friend, Rich, was beside him, trying nervously not to meet my eyes. "When was the last time I let you down?"

"Last week," I reminded him. "One of your little friends hit on one of mine, then continued to do so after she told them she was uncomfortable. One of the boys had to step in to get your friend off of her."

Jake looked at the ground, sighing. A sigh of my own escaped me as I glanced off to the side.

"I pull a lot of strings for you," I informed him. "Damn, even giving you one shot was risky, kid. I'm not even a member of that frat, just a trusted friend! They're putting a lot of weight on me, so if anything screws up, I'm to blame."

He looked like he was really thinking about what to say, but Rich stepped in. "He can't be held responsible for how other people act," he told me, suddenly stern. "Besides, you made the decision to trust him-"

"And I can change my mind at any moment!" I reminded him, causing him to fall silent. A groan left me as I went to rub my temple. "One shot, Jake. You mess up this weekend, I won't be able to give you any more chances-"

"You won't regret it!" he enthused.

"However," I interrupted, "you have to do something for me. Prove I can trust you."

His eyes finally met mine, and I smirked down to him.

"Do you know a kid named Michael Mell?" Confusedly, he looked over to Rich, then nodded. "I want him there."

"What do you want with a loser like him?"

"What am I doing trusting a child like you?" I countered. "I told you what I want, so make it happen. I'll speak to Michael myself if I don't see him there, to make sure you even tried."

I held a hand out for Jake, and, after a moment of contemplating, he shook my hand.

~~~

Halloween party. One of the most anticipated parties of the year, especially in Middleborough.

I cursed as I saw a few of my friends pulling into Jake's driveway, but smiled when they approached me.

"Yo, what's up?" one of the boys said, wrapping his arm around my shoulder as another boy put his arm around my waist.

"Don't even think about moving your hand any lower." I glared at the second boy, who chuckled and held his hands up in surrender, before jogging off with a couple of others.

"Oh, my God," my friend, James, said, a stupid grin on his face. "Is that Michael Mell, in the flesh?"

I glanced over, seeing him in the corner of my eye. "He came," I said, smiling.

"Isn't that the kid you were friends with? Used to live close to him?"

I nodded, my eyes focused on the sweater he wore. It wasn't his normal red one, but he still looked so cute.

"He...is over sixteen, right?" James asked, sending me a cautious glance.

"Yes, he's eighteen," I sighed. "I'm not trying to get arrested, dumbass. I've waited three years for this."

James chuckled, shaking his head. "Can't believe it," he said. "You, of all people, crushing on your childhood bestie? I never thought I'd live to see the day you showed interest in anyone."

I rolled my eyes, playfully punching his side. "You don't get it. He was there for me, like, all the time. God, without him, I'd probably be dead!"

My eyes followed him into the house, and I smiled a little bit wider. "He's eighteen, that's plenty of time I waited. I'm gonna ask him out, tonight."

"Good luck," James called as I headed into the house, where I immediately started looking for Michael.

"Hey," I heard his voice say beside me, and I turned to see those familiar glasses and that goofy smile.

"Michael!" I greeted, hugging him tightly. "It's been a while!"

He shrugged as I let go of the hug, both of us walking around while chatting quietly.

"What brings you to a high school party?" he asked. "I figured you'd be more comfortable with people that you know better."

"It's a long story," I said, "but I have some friends here that wanted me to show up. I'm glad you're here, though. That'll make it even more fun."

He cracked a little smile at my words, face going a bit pink. "I'm happy to see you, too," he returned.

Recognizing the look on his face, I decided to change the subject. He seemed relieved. "So, eighteen? How's it feel to almost be an adult?"

His spirits dampened a little bit. "It's not going as well as I would have hoped."

I leaned against a wall, Michael standing beside me. "What's the matter, Mikey?"

He seemed fond of the nickname that I used to call him, stepping closer to talk to me. "Jeremy sort of...pissed off into popularity. Threw me away for a girl he likes."

My eyebrows furrowed. "That doesn't sound like something he'd do," I muttered.

Michael shrugged. "I guess he cares more about his little crush than his best friend," he sighed, before cringing. "Sorry, I didn't mean to get sad."

I shook my head. "No, don't be sorry." I placed a hand on his shoulder, smiling gently. "It's good to talk about it, and I'm glad you trust me enough to tell me."

One of his hands went to my waist, and he pulled me to him for a loose hug. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, squeezing him gently.

When the hug ended, we just seperated a little bit. My hands were on his shoulders, and his were on my waist.

"Hey, Michael?" I asked, eyes studying every bit of his face. "Kiss me."

He seemed shocked, but he did so in only a second, lips meeting mine carefully. I relaxed in his arms, kissing back passionately. I felt him smile a little bit, before he took it upon himself to bite my lip.

"Punk," I whispered as I pulled back.

"Why'd you want me to kiss you?" he asked me, forehead pressed to mine. "I mean, out of everyone here...or all of your college friends, why me?"

"Why not you?" I returned, smiling. "I've known you practically my entire life. I even waited for you to be basically an adult for this. I mean, you're Michael Mell! My best friend and the person I...I love most. Damn, I love you."

His face was almost pure red, and I smiled as he tried to stutter out a sentence. "You waited for me?" he managed, and I nodded.

He hugged me and buried his face in my neck, clearly trying to hide the scarlet red on his face. I laughed, patting his back and letting him try to gather himself.

"I...wanted to kiss you, too," he admitted, face still tucked into my neck and shoulder. "I...I don't know, I've had this huge crush on you since I was a kid. I never thought that you'd, you know, like me, too. I always thought you'd be way too cool, or you'd want someone closer to your age."

"Michael, it's two years," I reminded him. "That's hardly anything to worry about. Besides, I wouldn't want to kiss anyone but you." My own face started to turn a little bit pink, I could feel it. "That was my first kiss, you know that?"

His breath hitched, before he smiled against my skin. "Mine, too."

I couldn't contain myself, wrapping my arms around him and hugging him tightly. "Wanna ditch this place? Play video games or get slushees?"

He pulled back, meeting my eyes with a goofy grin. "Sounds like a plan."