Give Up

Some people don't know when to give up. Michael Mell is one of them.

He's crushed on the same girl, one of the most popular in the school, for quite some time. Christine, a friend of hers, was dating Jeremy, Michael's best friend, so he would ask her about ways to flirt.

"She likes chocolates," Christine noted. "But not dark chocolate, she hates that. Oh, caramel and cherry in the chocolate is good, too."

Michael nodded, mentally retaining all of the information.

"She's a sucker for cheesy lines," Christine added. "And lines from movies."

"What's going on here?" Jeremy asked as he walked up to the lunch table, sitting next to Christine.

"She's helping me seduce a girl," Michael joked, and Christine rolled her eyes.

"I'm teaching him to flirt with a girl," she corrected. "He's got a long ways to go."

"It's about her, isn't it?" Jeremy sighed, and Christine nodded. "Dude, just ask her."

"That's what I told you to do with Christine," Michael replied, and Jeremy sighed again.

"I...can't get back at that one," he admitted.

"I think I know what I'll do," Michael said, resting his cheek in his hand. "I'll just have to hope it works."

~~~

I was beyond shocked when I opened my letter only to see a slip of paper sitting on top of my books. Confusedly, I put my things away for tomorrow and began the walk to my car, eyes scanning the note carefully.

It was..a love note! There wasn't a name on it, though.

I glanced around, seeing if anyone was looking, but everybody was having their own conversation. Nobody seemed to be worried about me reading their note, so it mustn't have been anyone there.

Still, the sweet letter made me smile as I walked off to my car. I folded it up like it had been, then placed it in my pocket.

Should I respond to it? I asked myself. No, I don't know who wrote that note. Besides, it could be fake. Just forget it.

Once I got home, I walkes into my room, took a deep breath, then placed the note on my bedside table. Maybe it would be better just to give up on that.

~~~

The next day, I was surprised to find another one. It had the same handwriting as the first, but still no name. Again, nobody seemed to notice the little note, but another smile took over as I trudged back to my car.

Maybe they mean it, I thought to myself during the drive home. They wouldn't write twice just to hurt me, would they?

Shaking my head, I started to drive home, where I put the note with the first.

~~~

This continued for two weeks, and I was tired of wondering who it was. I just wanted to find them and talk to them about it. Maybe, just maybe, go out on a date.

I couldn't do anything about it, though, so I tiredly placed the note in my pocket and started for my car.

"Hey, wait!" I heard someone say, and I assume it was directed at me.

Michael Mell, who used to be the outcast of the school, waved me down, walking toward me.

"Michael," I said, smiling at him. "What's up?"

He seemed a little bit nervous, but he just smiled at me. "I was hoping you had a minute to talk?" he tried.

I raised an eyebrow, quite a few thoughts running through my mind, but agreed anyway. "Yeah, I can chat."

He nodded, fingers fidgeting with the cord that attatched to his headset, which he seemed to always wear, like his iconic red hoodie, which was probably his favorite. "Well, I wanted to tell you something important."

I placed my hands in my pocket, patiently waiting for him to tell me.

"I mean, you probably don't even really know who I am," he said, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "We haven't really talked that much. I'm friends with Christine, though."

"So, what do you need to tell me?" I asked him, biting the inside of my cheek.

"I...uh...I'm the guy that keeps putting those dumb notes in your locker," he finally admitted, sighing. "I know, it's super weird, but I really like you and was wondering if you could ever give me a chance."

A little smile crossed my lips. "How...did you know which locker was mine?"

"Asked Christine."

"And why do you want to go out with me?" I added.

He looked at the ground. "I'm not entirely sure," he admitted again. "I just...lool at you, and some of the things that you do, the way you act, and I think 'Damn, she looks so dateable'."

I blushed a little, not expecting something like that, but it definitely sunk in. "Well, Michael, I think I can give you a chance," I said, and his eyes snapped wide open. "You seem like a sweet guy. Besides, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?"

He grinned, and the next thing I knew, he had crushed me in a tight hug. I laughed, patting his back and carefully returning the hug.

"Here, gimme your phone," I said, and he did. He opened it up, and I opened his contacts, putting my number in. Then, I handed him back his phone. "Text me later, okay?"

Michael waved me off as we headed seperate ways to our cars, and I hadn't realized it before but my heart was pounding. Finally, I was meeting the person who wrote those notes.

I got home and dashed up to my room, realizing Michael had texted me. Smiling, I saved his number and gave a short reply, then placed my phone on my bed.

Maybe it's a good thing I didn't give up.