Twitches

Michael couldn't have imagined he'd be the hero, showing up with his Mountain Dew Red in the middle of the high school play. Still, he felt pretty good finally talking to Jeremy, who was beyond happy to see him.

When Christine drank it, everyone with a Squip went nuts. Michael thought his ears would burst at all of the screaming, but someone in particular caught his attention.

He turned toward the voice, and his fear was confirmed.

She stood there, clutching her head tightly like everyone around her, screaming in agony as the AI deactivated in her brain.

Michael couldn't do anything but watch as the girl, his girlfriend, cried in pain with all her peers.

~~~

"I'm fine," I told Michael, sitting up in the hospital bed. I held his hand tightly in mine. "It's gone, and you're here, so I'm okay."

"Why'd you take it in the first place?" he asked, eyes not meeting mine.

That was not a question that I was prepared for. I felt my throat close up as I squeezed Michael's hand lightly.

"I ju-"

A twitch ran across my body, and I could hear that voice. That same fucking voice.

"I won't leave that easily," it said, and a faint image of what I thought was gone came back.

"Shit," I mumbled, rubbing my head. A headache had suddenly come on, and I wasn't sure I wanted to know why.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked for the millionth time, finally looking at me and gently placing his hand on my shoulder.

"I'm fine, I ju-"

Another twitch ran through my body and he was back.

"I might need more of that red shit," I mumbled, eyes focused on the figure sitting in front of me. It was faint, hardly even there, but I knew who it was.

"I'll check my car," he said immediately, standing up and preparing to leave. "Will you be okay for a minute without me here?"

I nodded. "Anything happens, I'll yell for a nurse," I told him, and he nodded at my plan, then began to head to his car, a bit of unnatural speed in his walk.

The damned figure sat there, just looking around as if nothing was up.

"Keep your eyes on me, asshole," I said, and his eyes snapped to me.

"Forgive me," he said faintly, smiling that awful, terrifying smile I'd grown to hate.

That shitty AI had mind-controlled me into practically a differeng person. I had just wanted to be someone better, but that pill was not what I needed. It only me me even worse.

"I'm back!" Michael called as he stepped in, half-empty bottle of Mountain Dew Red in hand. I grabbed a little cup from a bedside table that I'd had apple juice in.

Michael poured me some, and I drank it immediately. The fizz made my mouth feel funny, as I rarely ever drank carbonated beverages.

The figure cursed, and grew more faint, before it almost seemed to blink abiut of existance.

"Mm," I groaned, setting the cup down and putting a hand on my head again.

Finally, the pain faded, and I met Michael's worried eyes with mine.

"It's gone," I informed him, and he nodded, eyes relaxing.

"Why did you do it?" he asked me. "You saw what happened to Jeremy, so why did you do it?"

"Becuase...I wanted it to work," I said, starting to cry. "I...I know that you love me, I mean...you say it every day, but I don't know why. I mean, what about me is worth that, you know? And I thought that, if, just if, that thing worked out, I night be able to...I don't know, be wofthy of it? I just love you so fucking much, and I can't understand why you-"

Michael pulled me against his chest just before I started to cry for real. I began to let my tears drop on his hoodie, whimpering and wishing things were different.

"You really think you don't deserve love?" Michael asked me, patting my back.

"I...Yeah..."

I felt Michael start shaking. "I guess that's my fault, then."

Before I could say anything, he grabbed my cheek and kissed me, leaving me no time to argue.

"I should have told you more often," he sighed, tears falling. "God, I love you. Your stupid smile, shitty jokes, soft hair. Perfect lips, amazing mind, so goddamn smart. Too smart for your own good."

"Clearly not," I retorted, looking down at my hands. "I really fucked things up for us, huh?"

Michael shook his head. "No, this can be fixed. I promise. We just need to talk more, okay? Promise you'll talk to me about those things?"

My lip trembled and I nodded, feeling him peck my forehead gently.

"Thank God. I really love you, you idiot."