Waste It On Me

Michael was completely against the idea of dating. Of course, he was supportive of Jeremy and Christine, as well as everyone else who dated. He just never liked the idea of it.

"It just doesn't make any sense to me," he shrugged. "It just feels like you're looking at someone else for validation, but you can find that looking in the mirror."

"Have you ever actually dated before?" I asked, and he shook his head. "Well, that explains it. Maybe you'd understand if you tried it."

When he shrugged me off and kept walking, I knew that it called for desperate measures. I followed behind him as he caught up to Jeremy and Christine, but I pulled the latter away. "Girl stuff," I said, and they both made grossed out faces.

"What do you need?" Christine asked. "I have pads and tampons if you need either one."

I shook my head. "No, it was a lie. I just needed to steal you for a quick minute."

She nodded. "That was a good lie, you fooled me."

A little smile crossed my face. "Anyway, so, like, you know how I have that...really huge crush on Michael? And how he refuses to ever date anyone?" She nodded. "Well, I want to change that, and I don't think I could do it without your help."

A mischevious grin spread across her face. "Oh, like a secret mission!" she enthused cutely. "This will be cool! What do you have in mind?"

I gave her a small shrug. "I'm calling it Operation: What is Love, and here's what I want to do..."

~~~

The next couple of weeks, Christine and I spent a considerable amount of time together. During lunch, we usually seperated from the boys and focused on a small notebook, full of ideas for our cool mission. After school, we'd use the theatre under the guise of working on extra credit. Mr. Reyes couldn't care less, as long as we locked the door when we left.

People begun to notice how much time we spent together, which meant that, of course, rumors would start flying.

"Are they dating now? I thought Christine was straight."

"And I thought she was dating that Jeremy kid."

I rolled my eyes, doing what I could to ignore their words, but I could tell Christine didn't like being accused of those things. Each phrase sort of downed her spirits.

"Hey, you don't have to do this with me," I offered. "You've already helped so much, and I know you hate having all those mean things said about you. You can quit at any point."

She immediately shook her head with that smile of hers. "No way! I already started, so I have to see it through until the very end!"

Her enthusiasm was contagious, and I couldn't help but catch her disease of happiness. "Okay, as long as you're happy working with me."

We couldn't discuss the topic much more, seeing as Jeremy and Michael were approaching us.

"Still working on that 'crazy surprise'?" Jeremy asked.

"Yeah, but things aren't going so well," I admitted. "Uh, just so you know, people have been saying...really mean stuff about Christine from hanging out with me."

Jeremy rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I heard. Don't worry about it, I know you two aren't doing anything."

I smiled. "Than God, I wasn't ready for you to nerd rage on me."

That cause Christine and me to laugh, which made the boys smile. With that, we all started on our way to class, leaving the rude words and glaring eyes behind.