Moving Up

"You're kidding me," Jeremy said to his Squip, a deadpan expression on his face.

"I assure you, this is what must happen," the Squip responded. "You want to be able to date Christine? You have to move up the social ladder, and the only way to do that is to get with her."

"She's Michael's girlfriend," Jeremy stated, shaking his head. "I can't do that to him."

"She's also one of the most popular girls out there," the Squip returned. "You date her publicly, even for a moment, everyone in the school will know your name, and that puts you one step closer toward Christine."

As much as Jeremy hated to admit it, the Squip had a point. If everything went according to plan, he'd be with Christine in the end, and that's all that mattered.

~~~

"Back off, asshole," I mumbled as Jeremy approached in the school hallway. "I don't want to see your face right now."

He placed a hand on my shoulder, and I stepped back, out of his grasp.

"What the fuck are you trying to play?" I said, meeting his eyes. "If you're not gonna apolagize for being an asshole, I don't want to talk to you now. Or ever."

I tried to step away, but he grabbed my arm and put a hand on my cheek. "All I wanna do is talk," he mumbled, and my head hurt.

My hand slapped his away, taking another step back as people began staring. "Back the fuck off, you piece of shit!"

I whirled around, walking the opposite direction with my head filled with thoughts of rage. God, what the Hell did he think he was doing? Was he trying to flirt with me?

Oh, that's exactly what he was doing.

"Prick," I muttered to myself as I headed toward my class, not noticing Michael at my locker waiting for me with a worried look.

"Hey, what's going on?" Michael asked, pulling me from my trance with a hand on my shoulder. Due to the past few minutes of my life, I tensed greatly when he did so, but relaxed when I realized it was him.

"Thank God," I whispered, hugging him. Confusedly, he reciprocated the action, patting the top of my head. "It's Jeremy, he's being an even bigger asshole than before."

"What did he do?" Michael probed, hand gently touching my face. I smiled a little at the action, but it fell when I thought about Jeremy.

"I think...he's trying to break us up," I told him, and his body went rigid. "He...I don't know, he touched my face and was flirting with me. I didn't know what to do, so I called him an ass and left."

"Wanna skip today?" Michael asked calmly. "Maybe we should get away from people for today."

"We can't run away from Jeremy forever," I told him. "If he really is trying to break us up, he won't stop after the first try."

Michael seemed to weigh the options in his mind, but I placed a quick kiss on his cheek.

"Let's just ignore him," I said with a somewhat forced smile, taking Michael's hand in my own. "Besides, we have a test at the end of the week that I want to study for, so we should get to class soon."

As if on cue, the first bell of the day rang, signalling that everybody needed to start walking to their first class, which I thankfully shared with Michael.

I started walking that way, smiling when Michael sighed and followed me, still holding my hand in his. Gently, I squeezed his hand.

"Hey," I began, giving as kind of a look as I could when he looked over to me, "just so you know, I won't let Jeremy break us up. Everything he says is bullshit, so if he starts saying crap about me, which he will, just know that it's not true."

Before he could say anything to me, I was talking again.

"Not to mention that I fucking love you, Michael," I added, seeing his whole face go red and smiling to myself. "I don't think Jeremy could convince me to leave, anyway."

Finally, Michael smiled a little bit, and I knew that my mission was successful. "I'll keep that in mind," he returned, squeezing my hand lightly.

"Now, let's get to class!"