Rebound

"What's up?" said Michael's best friend as she sat next to him in the lunch room. Not a second later, Jeremy came and sat on her other side.

"Nothing, really," Michael responded, shrugging. "Classes still suck, but that's to be expected."

She smiled at his words, then pitched the same question to Jeremy. "What about you? What's up?"

He smiled a little. "I signed up for the play," he said. "Christine is gonna be there, so I'll get to talk to her!"

"Oh, Christine," the girl said, voice a sadder tone. "Right."

It was painfully obvious to Michael, as it had been for the past few weeks, that the girl had a huge crush on Jeremy. Sadly enough for her, Jeremy was smitten over Christine, no matter how much she liked him, and, no matter how much Michael liked her, he didn't think he could ever change her mind.

"So, how were your classes?" Michael asked her, changing the subject.

She seemed happy enough to not talk about Christine anymore. "They were alright," she shrugged. "Math sucks, but Literature isn't so bad."

Michael saw Christine heading closer, and he tried his best to keep the girl's focus on him. "So...any plans after school?" he tried.

"No, but if you want to hang out, I'm free," she offered. "I heard you got a ton of food at your place. Hey, Jeremy-"

She turned to talk to him, only to see him chatting with Christine. After swallowing a lump in her throat, she turned back to Michael.

"Anyway, I'll be free after school," she continued. The smile on her face was so fake, it made Michael's stomach churn. "So, let's get stoned in your basement. It's been some time."

Michael forced a smile in return, just as the bell rang for next class, which they happened to have together. "Shall I walk you?" he said, trying to cheer her up.

Thankfully, her smile had been a true one as she took his hand. "Of course," she replied, grabbing her backpack off the ground and letting her friend lead her to their classroom.

The day seemed to drag on for both friends, especially Michael when he wasn't around her. Still, they both managed to make it to the end, which was a goal in and of itself.

~~~

When I stepped out of the doors of the school, waving my friends off while telling them I had a ride, I saw michael already at his Cruiser, headset on and shoulders bopping to the tunes. Probably more 90's stuff, but I couldn't really complain. Some of it was pretty good.

He smiled a little and got in the car when he saw me approach. By the time I'd gotten into the car, the engine was running and he had his phone connected to the car stereo, playing his music at a moderate volume.

"So, what's the deal with Jeremy?" he asked as we headed off, glancing over at me.

I could only groan in annoyance at the words, looking out the car window.

"You can't just ignore this," Michael added, taking a different turn to get to the nearest 7-11.

"Watch me," I returned, and Michael suddenly stopped the car. I hadn't realized how fast he was driving, but we were already at the store, and Michael slammed the car door on his way out. I watched him trudge into the store, running a hand through his hair and mutter something to himself.

I stopped looking, instead glancing at my phone, even though it hadn't gone off. Briefly, I considered texting Jeremy, but decided against it. I settled for letting a couple tears fall as I sniffed quietly.