Popularity or Love?

"This isn't why we got these damned robots, Rich," I growled from where I sat on his bed. His room was almost devoid of any life, just like the rest of his house. "I didn't put a computer in my brain so you could use me to get popular."

"This isn't just for me," he returned, lisp slightly showing. That always happened whenever he was scared or anxious, and my heart sank. "If you do this, it'll help you, too."

"How will dating you get me any closer to Michael?!" I yelled, standing up from the bed. "Rich, I thought you knew what we were getting into when we paid hundreds of dollars for this shit."

He looked like he was about to talk, but his lips trembled. Before he could start crying, I placed my hands on his cheeks.

"Hey," I soothed, anger momentarily gone as I looked into the poor boy's eyes, "calm down. Breathe slowly. You'll be just fine."

His eyes were restless, and I blamed myself for putting him in this state. Well, there was only one thing to do.

"Okay, I'll do it," I sighed. "But nothing too much, okay? If any of your friends try something I don't like, I'm leaving."

Rich nodded, pulling me into a hug. He was always ready to let himself be vulnerable around me. I patted his back as he held me close.

Let the torture begin.

~~~

"Did her and Rich really start dating?"

"I can't believe it!"

"I knew they were best friends, but I didn't expect that!"

The whispers were unstoppable as I walked through the halls, my fingers linked with Rich's. People stared and pointed, but I did all that I could to ignore them. After all, popular girls didn't let anyone get under their skin.

We stopped at my locker, where Rich proceeded to make small talk with me. I dropped a few books in my locker, then closed the door and waited for the first bell to ring.

"Make your move," I whispered to Rich when I noticed a few football players looking our direction.

There was no verbal response, but Rich put his hand above my head on the locker, the other hand grabbing my chin as he placed a short kiss on my mouth.

Not a moment later, I caught a glance of that familiar hoodie walking through the hall next to a taller boy with messy hair. My body tensed, and Rich noticed.

"I'm sure he didn't see it," he tried assuring me, and I could only nod. I had to keep up the act, for his sake.

"Yo, Rich!" someone called from across the hallway, and I turned to see Jake Dillinger waving at my friend. Or boyfriend, I suppose. "Hey, you two dating?"

Rich nodded as nonchalantly as possible, and I smiled goofily and brushed a piece of hair behind me ear, just as my Squip instructed. I felt my cheeks heat up, but it wasn't naturally. The AI tampered with my body heat, making my face a little bit red.

The boys started having their own conversation, Rich's arm around my waist. I just stood there, knowing that, to the other guys, I was simply an accessory to accent just how popular Rich was.

Wow, Rich is dating a girl! I don't know who she is, but Rich is dating a girl!

No one said it, but I knew that they all thought it, and it made me want to throw up. Still, I just smiled whenever Rich glanced at me with his signature asshole smirk. In his eyes, I could see an apolagy, but he didn't have to say. Everything we did was just the means to an end, no matter what that might be.