Game Night

Spoilers for Fallout 3???

"Michael, are you sure?" I asked for the millionth time as he set the game up. "I thought you wanted to play games together."

He sat next to me on the floor, handing me the control as the game started. "I think it'd be better if you played this game," he said. "I mean, you like adventure games, right?" I nodded. "And you like shooting stuff, right?" I nodded again. "Well, this game is both! I'm pretty shocked you've never played before."

I shrugged, choosing the 'new game' option on the screen. "I don't have a PlayStation at my house," I admitted. "Or am XBox. We use Nintendo at my place, and you can blame my dad for it. It makes him all...nostalgic or whatever."

Michael shook his head. "Disgraceful," he joked, and I giggled as the game started.

"Whoa, is that Liam Neeson?" I asked as the dad in the game started to speak. Michael nodded, and my grin widened. "That's...pretty fucking cool. Liam Neeson's my dad. Oh, can I make my character?" Michael nodded once more. "Cool, I'm gonna make it look like you."

He laughed, but I actually did my best to make my character look just like him. I got pretty close, but, of course, it was just a video game, so it wasn't perfectly matching.

"Boom. Michael Mell." I pointed at the screen, and Michael chuckled.

"Now you just gotta start playing," he said, a smile on his face but something strange behind it.

~~~

I had been playing almost an hour, and Michael had heard a lot of stuff about my opinion on the game. He also said I was getting through things pretty quickly. For example, I had saved my father about forty minutes in, whereas he had taken about an hour to get there.

"Maybe I have have become better than you, Michael," I joked. "Thwarted by your own girlfriend. Was there ever a sadder tale than that of Michael Mell, the former king of video games?"

We both laughed for a minute as I helped my video game father, Liam Neeson, fix up his...water farm? Whatever it was, I made sure to say nice stuff to him, because he was my dad.

"Michael, what the fuck?" I said as the door to the operation system shut. "What the fuck?"

In the game, my father and a handful of other NPC's had been locked in that operation room, where an intense amount of radiation was starting to show.

"Michael, what the Hell?!" I cried as my father fell dead in the game. "Babe, stop laughing, this isn't funny!"

He only laughed harder as I covered my mouth in an attempt not to let a few tears slip by. I failed, and a single tear escape my eye, causing Michael to laugh just a little bit more before he scooped me up in his arms and cuddled me close. Now, I was sitting on his lap, trying to contain my small tears, even though it was a video game.

"Are you okay?" he finally managed to say, laughter having died down a little. He still let out a few chuckles every now and then, but it had almost stopped.

"No," I half lied, causing him to pretend to clear his throat so that he could hold back a laugh. "Did you..." My eyes widened, and I paused the game to look at him accusitively. "Did you make me play this game because you knew he was gonna die?"

He had the expression of someone that just got totally busted, and I bit my lip.

"That's real tough," I sighed, sniffing. "Betrayed."

I picked up the controller as he wrapped his arms around me.

"No, I'm mad," I said, partially joking. "Sorry. Can't cuddle. I'm smangry."

"Smangry?" Michael repeated, a lilt in his tone.

"Sad and mad and angry," I sniffed. "I'm smangry."

I could tell he really tried not to laugh, but he did anyway, his forehead on my shoulder as he laughed a little bit. A couple of giggles escaped me as well, but we both calmed down after a good minute or so.

"You're not actually mad, are you?" he asked, playing with my hair.

"Just a little bit," I admitted. "I hate when good characters die."

"Aw, I'm sorry," he said, nuzzling his face into my neck. "I just couldn't help it. Besides, it's still a good game, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I don't wanna play," I said childishly. "I'm grieving."

Michael chuckled a little. "Fair enough."

I saved the game and turned off the system. After that, I leaned back in Michael's arms, feeling him shift so we could both sit there comfortably.

"Wanna move to your bed or something?" I offered, and he immediately agreed. We made short work of piling onto his bed. Just like most of the times we cuddled, he was laying on his back while I was sprawled out on top of him, my arm and leg going across his body completely while my head laid on his chest.

He grabbed my hand and played with my fingers absent-mindedly, and the action made butterflies migrate in my belly. I buried my face further into his soft hoodie, sighing comfortably.

"I'm gonna take a nap," I warned him. "You're just so...freaking cozy, man."

He chuckled a little. "Well, sweet dreams, then."

I was out within the next thirty seconds.