Chapter 35

Jeremy

Liam was the bravest, most amazing boy I'd ever known. I doubted I'd ever have the courage to do what he did.

I was pissed at Nick for everything he said to Liam, for attacking him the way he did because he didn't deserve it. Liam only did what was right. He deserved better.

Judge Walsh insisted on driving me home even though I was used to taking the train home, even at nine o'clock at night. For the past hour or so, Nick sat on the couch beside his mother, looking down, his arms folded over his chest. I was hoping he'd say something, anything, before we left. 

"Nick," I said, Judge Walsh at the front door waiting for me.  "Hey, Nicky."

Still, he didn't look up. It was like he was frozen in his seat, not moving or speaking at all. Worried more than ever, I really hoped his mother wouldn't let him out of her sight after we left.

"Nicky," I said again.

Still nothing.

"Nicky," I said, tears falling embarrassingly down my cheeks. I couldn't believe he wouldn't look up. I couldn't believe a lot of things these days.

"Let's go," Judge Walsh said, shuffling both me and Liam out the front door.

"You better text me later!" I shouted out the door. "You hear me, Nicky!"

Liam went to bring an arm around me, but I shrugged him off, too pissed off at Nick and everything else.

With everything going on, I had forgotten to text my parents to let them know I was going to be home later than I thought. Now I had to face their wrath. I just wanted to crawl under a rock and stay there for a few days or weeks or maybe longer.

I missed Bobby more than ever.

Even though I assured him I was okay, Judge Walsh followed me into the house, to meet my parents. I really just wanted to go to bed.

At this time of night Piper was supposed to be in bed, but she wasn't, greeting me at the door, almost giddy because I was about to get "it."

"You're gonna get it," Piper whispered to me, not realizing Judge Walsh was behind me.

"What are you still doing up?" I asked her. Within seconds, both of my parents stormed into the room.

"Where the hell have you been?" my dad demanded. Seeing how royally pissed off they were, I was suddenly glad Judge Walsh followed me into the house.

"Oh, hello," my mom said politely to Liam's dad. Liam was still in the car, at his father's insistence. Judge Walsh was definitely someone I wouldn't mess with. 

"Hi," Judge Walsh said. "I'm James Walsh, Liam's father.

"I don't believe we've ever met," my mom said. Of course they never met. Judge Walsh never had a reason to come out here to this neck of the woods.

"Liam Walsh," my dad said. "He's the kid that broke Jeremy's nose."

"Yeah, Dad," I said, unable to hide my irritability. "It's Liam's dad. Liam's been here, remember? I hang out with him all the time."

"Are you in trouble?" my dad asked me.

"No, he's not in any trouble," Judge Walsh said. "It was getting late so I thought I'd give him a ride home. He's a good kid."

"Is everything okay?" my mom asked as I looked down at the floor, biting my bottom lip.

"I better get going," Judge Walsh said. "It's very nice to meet you all."