Chapter 30

Nick

On my way to English class, Father Connelly stopped me in the hallway. Ever since that night when I told him to stop and he didn't stop, he had pretty much left me alone. I had been making it to all my classes on time and was annoyed Father Connelly stopped me. Liam and Jeremy even made sure I wasn't late even if it meant they were late for their own classes because they were so busy worrying about me.

Grabbing my wrist, Father Connelly pulled me all the way into his empty classroom. My heart instantly raced and I feared he'd do something to hurt me again.

"Please don't hurt me," I muttered pathetically.

"Is it true?" Father Connelly asked with a sort of desperation to his voice. "You and Jeremy Sawyer?"

Nowadays everyone knew Jeremy was gay; he just didn't broadcast it to the whole school. "It's none of their business," Jeremy would say.

So should I admit it to Father Connelly?

"Or is it Liam Walsh?" he asked.

Although I didn't say yes or no to either question or comment, my fake poker face probably gave it away.

"Both of them, huh?" he said. "Do they know what you are? You're nothing but a little slut. You know that, right?"

Tears welled in my eyes as I looked down. I was really pathetic.

"They're good kids," he said. "Probably too good for you."

"What do you want?" I asked.

"You didn't tell them, did you?" he said, clutching both of my wrists tightly.

So now I knew why he sought me out. He was freaking out, worried I told my boyfriends about us.

Were Liam and Jeremy my boyfriends? I told myself I never wanted a boyfriend, that I didn't deserve one because I knew I was nothing but a whore.

"No," I said, which was the truth. "We have other things to talk about besides you."

"You know I miss you," he said.

"You hurt me," I said, looking down and away. "I don't want to be hurt anymore."

"I promise I won't hurt you again," he said, brushing my hair off my face. He kissed the corner of my mouth whether I wanted him to or not. "I sometimes get carried away. I'm sorry if I hurt you. I'm sorry I called you a slut. You know I care about you."

In a sick, twisted way, I believed he did care about me.

Liam and Jeremy never hurt me; they never had to apologize.

The classroom door suddenly sprung open and there Liam appeared. Both Liam and Jeremy had more of less been my bodyguards since I told them about Father Davis. Sometimes I regretted telling them, but other times I didn't because Liam and Jeremy cared and I trusted them.

"Can I help you, Liam?" Father Connelly said, color drained from his face.

"I just came to get Nick," he said. "I don't want him to be late."

I gladly went with Liam, not looking back.

"You and Father Connelly?" Liam asked.

"I think I'm going to get my hair cut," I said, not ready to talk about him.

"Should I take that as a yes?" Liam said.

"About getting my hair cut?"

"Don't play games with me," Liam said.

"I'm not," I said. "Father Connelly? Give me a break."