Chapter 6

Jeremy

A bunch of us hung around the lockers, waiting to go to practice while we listened to JT devise a new set of pranks and dares. The guy really needed to get a job or something. Like so many boys at this school, he had way too much time on his hands with no responsibilities. But, without these guys, my life would have been miserable at this school. I needed them to fit in in this snobby rich school and town.

Going along with it, we all drew straws that were precut, probably by JT. I wasn't sure what would happen to whomever got the shortest straw.

Shit. I drew the short straw.

"Ooo," all five boys said.

"Okay, fine," I said. "I drew the shortest straw. What do I do?"

"Kiss Liam Walsh over there," JT said matter-of-factly as if he had already had this all planned out ahead of time. For all I knew, they all figured out a way to make sure I got the shortest straw.

And then I thought about the dare, what JT wanted me to do.

WTF????

JT wanted me to kiss a guy?

"What? You want me to kiss a guy? No fucking way. Fuck you all," I said and went to leave until Asher grabbed the back of my collar.

"You gotta do it," Asher said. "We all gotta take turns."

"Who says?" I shot back at him, at all of them.

"Okay, then, I'll give you fifty bucks to kiss that loser," JT said. Everyone was a loser to him.

"It better be worth it," George said. "His dad's a judge and his mother's some politician."

"Fine. A hundred bucks then," JT said.

"A hundred dollars?" I said, shamefully tempted. I could use the money and I knew there was no way of getting out of this stupid thing. "Really? You swear in front of everyone?"

"I swear," JT said, shaking my hand.

Fuck, I thought to myself. He better pay me.

Liam wasn't bad looking. Just awkward and a little weird. He ran around the track a lot, which annoyed JT for some reason. Like his dad, JT thought he owned everything, too.

"I don't want to kiss a guy," I said, rethinking the whole thing. "That's fucking disgusting. And why him, anyway? You like him or something?"

"Do it," JT said more forcefully. There were rumors that Liam was gay, but I didn't care one way or other and I really didn't want to kiss anyone, especially not a boy in front of everyone. They all looked at me, egging me on.

Was it really worth a hundred bucks? 

I fucking hated this school. I couldn't wait for it to end.

Liam. Why him? He never bothered anyone.

"Do it, man," Dennis said.

Fuck you, I thought to myself, tempted to give him the middle finger.

Asher pushed me toward Liam across the hallway at his locker as he innocently gathered his books. Looking both ways across the hall, I slowly walked over to him. Hardly anyone was paying attention, getting ready to go home since it was the end of the day.