Fears (Avengers)

Prompt: The Avengers have long talks with one another to bond after a hardship

Warnings: Mentions of fears

A/N: Majority of these are my fears lol || Also this is inspired by something I found on Tumblr. I don't remember the user but major credit goes to them for the idea
=====

You had a fear of tight spaces. It happened after one mission where you got stuck inside pretty close to death. You'd been in there for hours before someone finally found you to rescue you. Officially you'd gotten PTSD from the experience but you'd never tell anyone about it. How could you? You were supposed to be a hero. 

The other members of the team didn't have fears. They were the freaking Avengers. Why would they fear anything when they concur things every day. They were amazing, strong, and highly intelligent in their own ways. 

Even Peter Parker, who was only a year or two older than you, seemed to be fearless. He was Spider-man for crying out loud! He swung from buildings every day as well as fighting bad guys. You remember him telling you about being crushed in a building from some bad guy that you couldn't remember for the life of you. Even now you shivered at the thought.

You shake your head and continue to pick at the take out Tony had gotten. The Avengers had taken a pretty big hit, losing almost all of its members during a large mission. Whether it be them falling in a coma or falling for good. You swallow the lump in your throat and bite your lip. This was horrible. 

"Y/N, please eat something." Steve begs while looking over his carton towards you. Eventually, everyone turns to look at you with pointed expressions, so you make a show of putting a piece of chicken into your mouth before the conversation continues without you. 

Somehow, without your knowledge because of your thoughts being in the clouds, they had gotten onto the subject of fears. You believe that it was because of Peter, he always brought up shit like that. Not that you didn't love him any less, though. 

The room falls into silence after Peter's question. Everyone stares at one another for a few seconds, no one really wanting to go first. Of course, you thought, none of them have any fears. It's not that they don't want to, there's just nothing to say. Peter looks at you, almost begging you to go first, but you shake your head and look back at your food. 

"I can't stand being in water." Steve states after clearing his throat. "Not after the plane crash, I just...my chest tightens up and I can't breathe. I've even passed out a few times and had to be pulled out by others."

"I fear being alone." Thor speaks up a few beats after Steve. "It seems everyone I love is leaving or passing on. Please, don't leave me. Especially you, Y/N, you're too cute and young to die. Sometimes it takes as little as a day of solitude before I have to find someone anyone to talk to, or I feel like I cannot breathe either." 

"I'm afraid of dogs." Natasha announces with a blank expression. Her fists were slightly clenched and she doesn't say anything else besides that, no one else questions her further either.

"I hate needles." Clint reveals. "Every time I need an injection, I vomit....a lot. It's like everywhere and sometimes really-"

"Okay Clint, thank you for that image." Tony stops him with his hand in the air. "We're eating."

"I have panic attacks in large crowds." Bruce awkwardly explains. "That's why I usually skip out on charity galas and parties because I'm so terrified." 

"As weird as it sounds." Peter awkwardly chuckles. "I'm afraid of spiders. I know I'm Spider-Man and all, but I just can't stand them!"

Finally, you all turn to look at Tony. You didn't really expect anything from him because he was Iron Man, he'd been through everything and he never bat an eye! He was the one that you didn't want to find out about your fear because he was like a father to you. Tony trusted you, he respected you, and if he knew you were so afraid of something so trival, he'd surely be disappointed.

"I'm scared of the dark." Tony shrugs while staring at his whiskey on ice. You had been in the middle of putting chicken into your mouth again, but it just drops.

Tony Stark was afraid of the dark. Something so simple yet so large all at once. 

Iron Man is afraid of the dark

It dawns on you in an instant, if he was afraid of the dark, Peter was afraid of spiders, Clint of needles and Natasha of dogs, then surely it wouldn't be too bad for your small spaces thing. Tony raises an eyebrow at you and you realize that you had been staring, you quickly look away and bite your lip.

"I-I am afraid of small spaces." You state, your voice quiet yet they all hear you perfectly. "It happened a few years ago on a mission, actually my last mission before joining you guys. I was tortured in a tiny space and kept there after the building collapsed. It was a few days before I was found and I was too weak to get myself out." 

"Y/N, I had no idea." Peter whispers while placing a hand on your leg. "That's why you didn't want to go-"

"We don't have to get into the details." You interrupt with an awkward chuckle. The conversation continues onto a lighter topic with Thor allowing everyone to try and lift the hammer once again. 

Afterwards, though, you reflect on the conversation. Today was the day that you discovered something so very important. 

You could be scared and still be a hero, that was all you needed to unwind. Thank god you had your family, they'd support you no matter what and now you truly felt comfortable sharing everything with them. No matter how scary it actually felt. 

"Hey! Y/N!" Steve calls you back to reality while gesturing to Thor's hammer. "Think you could do better?"

"Bet I can." You smile while pushing yourself off the couch. "New Queen of Asgard, here we go."