I'm Not Afraid (Steve x Reader)

Prompt: You're on your first mission with the Captain (You were dating before you became an Avenger) Just yo life in general

Requested By: No One

Warnings: Slight swearing

A/N- Hola
====

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" Steve questions as the jet starts its descent. You blow a piece of hair from your eyes and nod, you've been training for this moment for a while now. You were ready.

"Yeah, are you afraid or something Cap?" You joke while poking his side (where he was most ticklish). He laughs while moving away from you, trying to keep his professional demeanor.

"I am afraid that you aren't ready." Steve finally replies while shaking his head. "I...Fury shouldn't have sent you on this yet, Tony would've been a be-"

"Steve." You interrupt. "I'm not afraid."

"I don't know about that." 

**Time skip brought to you by Thor listening to Harry Potter and HIs Puppet Pals**

You had excelled in that mission, so much that you had even saved Steve's ass more times than you could count. Soon, you became a world-known assassin, even surpassing the great Clint Barton and Natasha Romanoff. Not that they minded, though, they were honestly happy about the weight being lifted from their shoulders.

Steve had asked for your hand in marriage three months after your first mission together and as you walked down the aisle, you whispered that same line you used every time. "I'm not afraid."

You even used that line as your little boy and girl were brought into the world, they were twins. Born exactly twelve minutes apart like the Maximoffs.

You weren't afraid when Steve went off to fight in what people were calling the 'Civil War'. You weren't afraid when Steve went missing and became a fugitive.  

You weren't afraid when SHIELD protected you against the government.

You weren't afraid when Thanos came.

You weren't afraid.

But Steve was. He was afraid every second, even as the light left his eyes at the hands of Thanos.

You weren't afraid when Bucky came to your door with Steve's shield in his arms.

You weren't afraid when your daughter broke her leg.

You weren't afraid when your son asked questions about who his father was.

You weren't afraid.

You weren't afraid when your kids went to high school and then college.

You weren't afraid.

You weren't afraid when the cancer spread through your body.

You weren't afraid when you were talking to your kids with your last dying breath...or maybe you were.

"Mom, don't be afraid." Your daughter whispered with tears in her eyes. 

"Honey, I'm not afraid." You lied while lifting a shaking hand to take her own, along with your sons. "I promise."

"Say hi to dad for me, okay?" Your son begs while wiping some hair from your face.

"I promise." You mumble. "He'd be very proud of you both, never forget that."

"We love you, mom."

You weren't afraid as those last words flew from your mouth.

You weren't afraid when a large light clouded your vision.

You weren't afraid as you saw Steve's hand reaching for yours.

You weren't afraid.

====

Sorry for not updating, I got a job and have been quite busy!

lol sorry if this sucks tho...I was watching a sad movie...

-Author Out