new years day (peter pov & book au)

[an: HAPPY NEW YEAR MY COVINSKY STANS!! this was a little late, but also actually spontaneous! WARNING; this one shot wasnt reviewed and i wanted to simply update before jan 3rd!]

« Peter POV: his pov when lara jean came to him in new years day, book 2 »

PGK

            I heavily sigh when I hear my mom and Owen countdown to the New Year in the living room. I stay upstairs and wait for one of them to come in, but no one does.

My phone buzzes and I look instantly just in case it was a message or even a phone call from Lara Jean. It wasn't.

From: Gen - Peter, can you come over tonight?

I type something and decide not to when I hear the doorbell ring followed by my mom calling my name, "Peter! Can you get the door for me?"

I hop out of my bed when I realize that this is the only thing I can do since I've been letting my frustration out of my Mom and Owen. I rub my eyes and stretch my arms while I walk to the door. I freeze when I open the door to find the reason I've been out of my element this whole winter break... Lara Jean.

"Hey." I eye her skirt and see that she's way too overdressed for New Years. "Why are you so dressed up?"

"It's for New Year's." Lara Jean looks at her toes and pulls on her long skirt out of her way. "So, hey, how was your Christmas?"

I pause for a long moment, hesistating to tell her that I've been miserable this whole week because of our last encounter. "Good. How was yours?"

She tells about her family's new puppy, Jamie Fox-Pickle, before saying, "Can I talk to you for a second?"

I shrug and sit on the porch waiting for her to do the same. "So, what's up?" Lara Jean sits next to me and stays quiet. I almost regret opening the door because I don't want to know what she'll talk about, especially when it's about Josh. "What, Lara Jean?"

She stuffs her fingers in her pockets before saying, "I just came to say . . . to say I'm sorry for the way things turned out. And . . . I hope we can still be friends, and happy new year."

"'Happy new year?" I narrow my eyes at her. I can't believe she has nothing else to say. "That's what you came here to say? Sorry and happy new year?"

Lara Jean insists on us still being friends and I still repeat what she says, "You hope we can still be friends?"

"That's what I said." She stands up straight and I feel a little sad when I know that I've been treating her cold ever since I opened the door. "Well, I'm gonna head home."

She starts to walk down my porch until I stop her. "Wait a minute. Let's go back to the apology part. What are you apologizing for, exactly? For kicking me out of your house, or for thinking I'm a dirtbag who would go around telling people we had sex when we didn't?"

Her shoulders sag in defeat when she sees she might have been the harsh one during our "break". "Both of those things. I'm sorry for both of those things."

I cock my head to the side with my eyebrows raised. "And what else?"

"There is no 'what else.' That's it."

"Hey, you're the one who came here talking about 'I'm sorry' and 'let's be friends.' You don't get to force me into accepting your half-assed apology."

"Well, I wish you a happy new year anyway." Lara Jean starts to stomp down to my porch and continues, "Have a nice life. Auld lang syne and all that."

I bid her goodbye until I see something in her pocket. "Wait a minute. What's that you've got crumpled up in your pocket?"

She covers her pocket immediatey shoving it back in its place. "That? Oh, it's nothing. It's junk mail. It was on the ground by your mailbox. No worries, I'll recycle it for you."

I hold my hand out. "Give it to me and I'll recycle it right now."

We wrestle over the paper until it was finally in mines. "Tampering with US mail is a federal offense. This is to me. From you." I see my name and examine the letter until I feel Lara Jean grabbing it roughly. "Stop, you're going to rip it!"

Dear Peter,
I miss you. It's only been five days but I miss you like it's been five years.

I continue to read it until I asks, "Why weren't you going to give me this? Why were you just going to leave?"

"Because, I don't know, you didn't seem so glad to see me. . . ." She frowns to herself and looks away from me.

I chuckle and admit that she's been reading me all wrong the whole break. "It's called playing hard to get! I've been waiting for you to call me, you dummy. It's been six days."

"Oh!" Lara Jean exclaims with her eyes open wide.

I pull the lapels of her coat to see if she's still as affected of me as I am with her. "Oh. So then . . . you still like me?"

"Yeah," She whispers, almost like she doesn't believe that I asked her if she still liked me. "I mean, sort of."

"Do you believe me that I didn't tell people we had sex on the ski trip?"

"Yes."

Since Lara Jean admitted that she liked me, I wonder what happened after I left the school party. "Okay. Did . . . did anything happen with you and Sanderson after I left your house that night?" Before she says anything, I stop her, "Wait. Don't tell me. I don't want to know."

"No." Lara Jean says firmly making me believe that nothing really happened. I nod until she closes her eyes like I'm gonna kiss her: I laugh when I know what's she's expecting, a real full on kiss. I place a liss on her left and then right cheek.

She opens her eyes and whispers. "What are you doing?"

"Building the anticipation."

"Let's just kiss." Lara Jean comments before I pull her closer to me. I almost continue our kiss until she jumps out of my hold when Owen opens the door on us.

Mom invites Lara Jean inside the house and wishes her a Happy New Year. I realize that Mom took out some of her frustrations from my frustrations and blamed it on Lara Jean. I felt a slight tension and I wished to bring her back home.

           When we finally make it to her house, Lara Jean turns to face me. "Did you tell your mom about how we broke up?"

I turn the heater down and say, "No. Because we never broke up."

"We didn't?" She asks.

I laugh at her small knowledge about relationships in real life rather than ones she reads in her books. "No, because we were never really together, remember?"

I notice her quiet down and I know she has a million things running through her head about our so-called relationship. I lit my arm around her to pop her small bubble, "Don't be nervous."

Lara Jean leans closer and kisses me quick.

I smile when I realize that we're back to where we were before all the mess we went through. I couldn't help, but say, "Kiss me like you missed me."

And she did.

[an: HOPE YOU LOVED IT AS MUCH AS I DID. Also, how was everyone's Holidays? i am going to write so much this week before school!! have a nice day!!
lots of love, nik ✨]