roommates (college au)

[an: i'm sorry for all the late updates, i'm still getting used to my new school schedule, but hopefully i can write more soon. thanks so much for 23.9k reads!]

__________

« COLLEGE AU: the letters were never sent, but PK and LJ end up together... differently... as roommates »

LJSC

          "You've got to be kidding me." This can't be real. I blink again to see if this moment was actually happening. I open my eyes and there he was, standing tall with a smirk.

"Lara Jean." Peter Kavinsky leans against the counter holding onto a cinnamon toast.

With a face like his, it's almost like I'm watching a breakfast commercial, but I'm not. I shake my head to get rid of my thoughts. "What are you doing here?"

I look up for a moment and second-think if I actually entered the wrong apartment. "Wait, I live here. What are you doing here?"

He chews on his last toast and before he could answer me, I see Chris push him out of her way and continue to walk towards the fridge. "Christine, can I talk to you for a moment?"

She continues to ignore me, but I quickly grab her arm and pull her in the corner of the kitchen where Peter doesn't see us. "Why is Peter Kavinsky here?"

"LJ, don't worry. He won't get into that much trouble and he's staying here for a week."

"That still doesn't explain why he's here..." I narrow my eyes and look behind me just in case Peter was listening.

Chris reaches up at the kitchen drawer and pulls out a beef jerky stick. "It was something about his lacrosse game? I had no choice. He was spamming my phone, he should be lucky I had a network inside the club."

I watch her give me a wink before walking away from me. I wait in my corner and chew on the bottom of my lip when I hear the bells against our door ring indicating someone was either entering or exiting.

"Lara Jean!" Peter pops out of nowhere making me flinch. "Oh, sorry."

I clear my throat. "That's totally fine, um... Not to be rude, but you're staying here for a week?"

"Yeah, I hope you didn't mind. I thought Chris told you." He shoulders sag.

It was my turn to feel guilty. It was weird seeing Peter sad. I was always used to him being a joyful confident guy ever since high school. "I'm really sorry, I was just so shocked to see you."

"Why?" Peter asks before I open my mouth to answer, he continues, "Lacrosse training kicked my ass this summer."

Wow, I say inside my head cause I know Peter way too cocky for my liking. "Okay, I'm gonna go to my room now, but if you need me you can always knock at my door."

I run past him and escape to my room. I lean against my door and heavily sigh. Out of all the people in the world, Chris invites Peter to stay with us. These seven days are going to be interesting.

           The next morning, I hear no movement around the apartment so I quietly get out of my room to get something to eat. I almost laugh when I see Peter's tall figure overtaking the whole couch.

I quickly make a sandwich for myself and Peter just in case he doesn't get to go out in the morning. I go back to my room to find a sticky note.

Peter, Hope you like the sandwich. Text me if you need anything. - Lara Jean

I include my number before placing the sticky note on top of the wrapped up sandwich. When I reach the door, I look back for a moment to check if this was actually real and it is.

           Throughout the whole day in school, I keep on glancing at my phone just in case Peter messages. I almost panic when I realize that I might have written the wrong number.

I go straight to the apartment and almost scream when I open the door to see Peter... shirtless.

"Oh my God! I am so sorry!" I exclaim while covering my eyes.

I hear him chuckle in front of me. "Covey, it's fine. It just got back from lacrosse training and took a shower. By the way, I used a little bit of the coconut shampoo. It smells good."

For the second time, I couldn't believe it. My middle school crush standing in front of me with no shirt on and just admitted that he used my shampoo.

"Lara Jean." Peter finally wears a shirt and waves a hand in front of my face. "You good? Is there anything good to eat around here?"

"Yeah, there actually is." I answer getting my car keys. While we walk to the parking lot to my car, I almost fight my hand itching to write another love letter about Peter.

He's only staying here for another few days, Peter is not staying forever.

          "So how's your sisters?" Peter asks sticking a fry in his mouth.

My eyes go wide when I hear his first personal question to me. I noticed that about Peter, he really doesn't know how shocking he can be. "How did you know I had sisters?"

"Remember we had that bakery thing... I saw you and your sister. I tried to say hi, but your sister looked quite impatient."

"You saw me?" I ask while I point to myself.

"Yeah," Peter nods and smiles at me. "But we were probably the only two high schoolers out the rest of the kids so it was easy to spot you."

I giggle louder than I expect. "Thanks?"

"You're welcome." Peter says sincerely while we both continue to eat our dinner.

          Once Peter gladly pays for the dinner, we get up to bump into Becky, a college version of someone just like Gen. "Lara Jean, you didn't tell me you had a boyfriend?"

I glance at Peter from the corner of my eye. "Oh, he's actually not my boyfriend."

Becky flips her perfectly brown ombre hair and stares right at Peter. "Hi, I'm Becky."

"Peter," He introduces himself to Becky, "And I think Lara Jean spoke too soon, I'm not her boyfriend... yet!"

Becky cringes and leaves with nothing left to say while I freeze next to Peter. "Wait, is this a date?"

"Do you want this to be a date?" He shrugs his shoulders and waits for my answers.

I wrinkle my eyebrows and go through all the things that can happened in our future. "Peter, you go to UVA. I go to UNC and we won't even see each other again after you leave."

"Cove—"

"I've never had a boyfriend and long distance? Do you even know me?"

Peter crosses his arms. "Lara Jean..."

"It's so weird how you decided to stay in our apartment and used my shampoo?" I take a deep breath before continuing, "How are you acting so normal?"

"Maybe it's fate?" I look at his face and stay quiet. "I'm not asking to marry you, maybe I can take you to a simple date?"

I take a moment to calm down and give this friendship a chance. "Ask me again."

"Hey, I'm Peter Kavinsky, would you like to be my friend and possibly be something more in the future?"

"Yes."
___________

[an: of course they're the end game!
also request are still open and... WHO'S READY FOR THE HOLIDAYS THO? lots of love for everyone!]