Auditions

Luke

I tried not to think about it too much, but I really didn't like this new British guy. Maybe it was the way Mazy talked to him so freely. She's never been so openly friendly with anyone, much less some random new guy. I mean, Sarah and Terri took a year and a half to get her to speak to her. I don't know. He just didn't settle with me.

Earlier at lunch I had planned on sitting with everybody, but he filled the only seat left. Right next to Mazy. Right where I usually sit. So I sat with Tiff and her friends instead. I tried to engage in conversation, but my eyes kept falling back on a smiling, very giggly, Mazy.

Now I look at her reading her lines. I'm trying to focus enough to memorize mine, but I just can't focus on anything but her.

Someone tapped me on my shoulder after reading for a few seconds. I spun around to find Mazy, smiling nervously.

"Hey," she said quietly, "We missed you at lunch."

I cleared my throat. "Yeah. You guys' table looked pretty full up so..."

She nodded. "Yeah, but ya know, we could've made room." I sighed. Why didn't I think of that?

Oh right. Because I knew she'd be mad at me if I just so happened to grill the new kid and maybe punch him in the face. In case you can't tell, yes. I am the jealous type. Especially when it comes to boys and Mazy.

"Right," I replied, "Sorry."

She smiled again. "That's okay. I'm nervous as hell right now, by the way."

I chuckled. "I thought you might be. You've got a lot of lines."

"Mmhmm," she gulped, "Sure do."

I reached up to rub her arm reassuringly and smiled. I took a step forward, making her eyes meet mine.

"You're going to do amazing like always, Mazy Wazy," I said quietly.

She blushed. "I hope so."

"Hey, Mazy!" someone called. I looked over her shoulder to see the new kid. What was his name again?

"Liam!" she answered.

Yeah... That's it...

"Hey," he said reaching us. I put down my arm and looked I over at him.

"Oh, hey Luke," he said to me, trying to act all cheerful and innocent.

"Hey," I replied nonchalantly.

"Luke Bright, Landon. Liam Tillons, Damon. Mazy Raves, Stella. Come to the stage please."

Mazy tensed up.

"Are you alright?" Liam asked. Of course she isn't, you dipstick. Look at her!

I shook my head and answered for her, "She hates attention. Anything, even as small as a smile from a passing stranger makes her feel the burning urge to jump under the covers."

He pushed his eyebrows together before saying, "She wasn't like that with me this morning."

He really wanted to get punched.

"Yeah," I replied as calmly as possible, "I don't get that either."

"Well, how do you know so much about her?"

I wanted nothing more than to scream, "Because I know her better than she knows herself, prick! She's my best friend, and I'm freaking in love with her! So back off!" but I restrained myself.

Instead I settled for, "She's my best friend."

He nodded as I stepped in front of her again, grabbing both of her arms this time and said, "Mazy. Maze, come on, look at me. It's me, Luke. Hey, I'm right here. Just look at me. Please?"