Misunderstanding

Mazy

The rest of the day went a lot smoother. Except third and fifth period, the classes I didn't have with Luke. Everyone relatively left me alone.

Three boys from our first period class, Calum, Michael, and Ashton sat with us at lunch. They were nice, when they weren't trying to make me talk. Needless to say, it didn't work until Luke tried. I liked them though, and if they stuck around, I'd eventually talk to them, too.

The girl who's seat I stole, her name was Tiffany, had three more classes me. Other than English, we had Art, ASL, and Geography together, and apparently she had Algebra with Luke. In every class she would glare at me. I didn't know a stupid seat was that big of a deal, but I guess it was pretty important to her. I didn't really care, and if it were up to me, I would just move, but it wasn't. Luke wouldn't have let me even if I tried.

We were on our way home with Calum. He walked the same way as us. He lived just six houses down, which made Luke pretty happy. He'd have someone to do dude things with, so I was happy that he was happy.

"So I have to ask both of you," Calum said, "You guys like sport, right?" I nodded, as did Luke. "Okay, what's the best sport in the world?"

"Psh," Luke scoffed, "Easy. Soccer."

Calum shook his head. "No way! Football is definitely the best sport ever."

"Not it's not," Luke retorted.

"Yes it is."

"No it's not."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Oh come on! I bet Mazy agrees with me."

Damn it Calum. Why'd you drag me into this?

Luke chuckled and replied, "Please, she is my best friend. She's going to agree with me."

"No she won't."

"Yes she will." Here we go again.

"No she won't."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes!"

"N-"

"Actually," I interrupted, "Baseball is better than soccer and football, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose football."

Calum stopped suddenly. He stared at me, slack jawed and speechless.

He shook his head and zoned back into our world. "She speaks."

I nodded and smiled. I looked over to Luke who had a goofy side grin on his face.

"What?" I asked, giggling.

He shook his head. I rolled my eyes and kept walking. They quickly followed after me, catching up easily.

"So Luke said you could sing," Calum said. I shrugged.

"Kind of," I replied.

Luke laughed and commented, "Kind of? Please. She's the best singer you will find on this island."

I playfully pushed him, saying, "No one likes a brag, Mr. Bright, but if we're going there, then you're definitely a hell of a lot better than me."

"If no one likes a brag, why're you bragging on me?" He smirked.

"I never said anyone liked me," I countered.

He laughed. "What if I like you?"

I thought for a second before I rolled my eyes and said, "Shut up."

He laughed. "That's what I thought." I stuck my tongue out at him.

"You guys are cute," Calum said, pulling me away from our own little world. Only then did I realize how close me and Luke were, and how he was leaning his tall frame down to match my height. Which had to be hard considering he is six two, and I'm only five four.

"Huh?" Luke asked.

"You're cute," he repeated, "You know, you guys would make a cute couple."

I blushed heavily, looking away from both of them, backing away from Luke's towering figure, facing the ground, and walking forward.

"Umm, thanks, I guess..." I heard him say behind me.

It's not that I minded the compliment, it's the fact that I knew it would never happen. It hurt to think that I'd never be with him...

Honestly, I don't know why neither of us are telling him we're just friends either. But we both kept silent.

"So," Calum said, disrupting the awkwardness, "Oh, hey. This is my stop. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

I waved as Luke said, "Alright, see you bro."

We kept walking in silence as we slowly got closer to home. It stayed like that until we reached the top of my staircase.

He squeezed me tightly and said, "Bye, Mazy Wazy. I hope you had an okay day. I'll see you tonight." I nodded.

He started to pull away, but I grabbed his wrist, pulling him back into me. I wrapped my arms around his neck as I felt his around my waist.

"Thank you for being there for me, Andy," I said quietly.

He sighed and replied, "I told you, Mazy. I'm never going I leave your side."

And I believed him...