She Won't Come Between Us

Luke

"Hey, baby, tell me your name," Mazy sang loudly, "I got a fever for you I just can't explain, but there's just one problem. I'm a bit old school. When it comes to lovin', I ain't chasing you. Ain't waiting. I'm on a roll. You've got to let yourself go oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh."

I smiled. No one dared to make a sound. The beautiful music her voice created made everyone fall silent, every time, without fail.

And me still falling helplessly in love with it...

"Oh! You know that I've been waiting for you. Don't leave me standing all by myself 'cause I ain't looking at no one else. Hey, get your back off the wall. Don't you get comfortable, lookin' so hot I think that I might fall. Feelin' like it's my birthday, like Christmas Day came early. Just what I want, so when we move, you move. Hey, get your back off the wall. Don't you get comfortable, lookin' so hot I think that I might fall. Feelin' like it's my birthday, like Christmas Day came early. Just what I want, so when we move, you move."

She looked over at me and I glanced to her. "What?" I chuckled.

"It got quiet all of the sudden..." she whispered as the adorable pink color crept upon her cheeks.

"That's because you're awesome," I whispered in reply. Her cheeks flushed deeper in response.

We pulled in the parking lot, and I immediately found a parking spot right in the very front.

"Ha!" Calum said, "This is a sign. This is the beginning of the best senior year ever."

"It's our only senior year, Cal," Terri said to him.

"Exactly, babe." He grabbed his girlfriend's hand and winked. She giggled.

"I told you, you guys are adorable," Mazy muttered to Terri with a smirk.

She simply rolled her eyes as she got out of the car, mumbling a "Shut up," in the process. Mazy just laughed and jumped out of the passenger seat.

As soon as I closed my door, I saw the familiar pink tinted mustang pull in beside my car. Tiff quickly popped out and started towards me. She smiled at me, taking my hand. I noticed Mazy's face fall, and she backed off uncomfortably. I felt bad, but when I tried to let go of Tiffany's hand and go after her, her grip only tightened, and she was pulling me away.

"Did you miss me?" she asked.

My eyes stayed glued to Mazy as her, Sarah, Terri and Calum walked to the breezeway. I needed to go talk to her before things could get bad.

"Yeah, sure," I muttered, "Hey, I've gotta go talk to Maze for a second. I'll be back before the bell rings though."

I tried to slip away again, but she pulled me back again and asked, "Why do you need to talk to her?"

I sighed. "Because I just need to."

"Fine," she replied. I could tell she wasn't happy about it, but I wasn't about to do that to my best friend. She was a little more important to me than Tiffany.

I turned around and quickly chased after my friends. I couldn't see them anywhere, so they must have gone inside.

I opened the front doors to find her picking up books and papers. I bent down to help her, catching her attention.

"I thought you were with Tiffany," she whispered, "That's why we left, so you two could be alone."

I shrugged saying, "I needed to talk to you."

Her eyes met mine. I saw the redness around them, and immediately I knew she had been crying. Was that because of me? Did I cause that? I hate it when she's hurting, especially because of me. It causes me physical pain to see her the slightest bit upset.

I hate these ridiculous feelings...

I stopped picking things up and stood up. I walked over to her and helped her to her feet. My hand suddenly grew a mind of its own as it lifted to her cheek, and my thumb rubbed away the smudges I didn't see when I was six feet away. Her eyes, the gorgeous caramel they are, seemed to sparkle as they bore into mine.

Someone cleared their throat to our right. I looked up to a smirking Sarah.

"Hey," I said, slowly putting my hand down, "I didn't see you there." I tried my best to smile. Needless to say, it didn't work too well.

She laughed and shook her head and said, "Yeah, I could tell."

I looked back to Mazy, who was still staring at me. I smiled genuinely now. Because she always made me smile.

"Can we talk...alone?" I asked, glancing at Sarah as I said 'alone'. I heard her stifle a laugh.

Her lips twitched as she nodded and looked to the floor. She sniffled, turned around and started towards the library. I didn't miss a beat as I quickly followed after her.

"Bye..." Sarah said in a sing-song tone as she snickered. I sent a glare behind me to her, which only made her laugh harder.

When we reached the far corner of the library, she faced me curiously.

"What do we need to talk about?" she asked.

I sighed. "Okay, I just wanted you to know that even though I'm dating Tiff, nothing has changed between us. I'm not going to just ditch you all of the time. I may not spend as much time with you as I usually do, but I don't want to neglect you. I'm still your best friend, and I'll always be here for you. I'll still give you anything you want, everything you need. I promise, she won't put anything between us."

She blinked quietly. She took a deep breath and nodded her head. When her eyes met mine again, she smiled. I returned it faithfully, glad that she always understood me so easily. She'll always be able to read my mind like she does. She'll always be my best friend, my one and only true friend, my number one girl.

"Thank you," she muttered, then started to walk to our first period class. "I'll see you in Trig, Andy."

I smiled and nodded before saying, "And lunch, and Government, and English, and Theatre, and then auditions after school." She giggled.

"I completely forgot about that, you know," she commented.

I faked a gasp. "How could you? You promised you'd go for the lead with me." I winked.

She face palmed and said, "Dang it. I really forgot about that..."

I chuckled. "I figured. That's why I so generously reminded, I remembered. You're welcome."

"Yeah, I'm just so lucky..." she replied. I smiled as she rolled her eyes at me and laughed. "I'll see you later."

"See you..." I replied.

She smiled and left, leaving me as much in awe as she always has. And always will.