Only First Period

Mazy

He stood in the doorway, holding my bag out for me to grab. His signature smug smile showed brightly and broadly on display.

Curse those stupid dimples.

As I grabbed my bag and walked passed, I said, "Turd."

He chuckled and replied, "Hey, just trying to help."

"Mmhmm, sure," I said sarcastically.

I walked into a full classroom. Luckily, I found two empty seats in the very back row. Thank God, I hate the front. It gives the teacher more of a chance to look at you. I don't sit in the back to cause trouble, I sit in the back so I don't cry or freak out.

I grabbed Luke's wrist and pulled him to the seats I spotted.

"Why don't we sit in the front?" he asked innocently. I looked at him with narrowed eyes and a peeved expression. I sat my stuff down in a desk.

"Because I don't want to be in front of everyone and be in the teachers first line of sight," I answered.

He pursed his lips and sat in the desk to my right. I giggled and looked to the front. Just as I did, a tan, tall, skinny brunette, walked through the door and flashed a smile in her friends' directions. She had a lot of makeup on, but she was still beautiful.

She started towards the back of the room where me and Luke were sitting. She stopped in front of my desk and looked at me as if we were five, and I just knocked over her perfect Lego tower as she scowled.

"That's my seat," she barked.

I looked over to Luke who just nodded. He was trying to get me to say something to her, encouraging me to stand up for myself. I shook my head vigorously.

"Hello?" she spoke again, "I said, that's my seat. Get out of it."

Luke cleared his throat, getting her attention and said, "Excuse me, but she was there first."

"And?" she replied as if he was an idiot.

"Is there assigned seating or something?"

"No, but that is my seat. I've been in this class for three years now. Every year, I've been in this seat," She looked back to me, "so move."

I didn't know what else to do except get up and find another seat. I started to get up and move when I heard Luke, the boy I love so much it hurts, stand up for me, an insecure little girl who has no idea what she'd do without her best friend who she was crushing on big time.

"No. I don't care how many times you've failed this class or had to repeat your freshman year," he threw back, mocking her as there were snickers heard around the room. "I do not care care how long or how many times your ass has been in that seat. She was there first, and you can go find another one."

"I'm sorry, but who the hell do you think you are?" she asked angrily.

"Oh, don't worry. It's not me you should be apologizing too. And it's Luke. Luke Bright."

Her face went pale and her eyes got wide. Embarrassment and regret laced her falsely perfect features.

She pulled herself back together and closed her dropped jaw and said, "Oh. Oh my..." She looked back to me again. "I'm sorry. I'll just, I'll go find somewhere else. I'll find another seat..."

She turned around and flipped her long brown waves in the process. She found a desk a few rows up and looked back to glare at me. I could feel the fierce blush creeping up my cheeks. I slid farther down into my seat.