Schedule

Luke

She wouldn't let hold her waist or carry her stuff, so I settled for her hand. She said it was because she didn't want to draw attention or make people look at us, even though I saw guys staring at her anyway, but as always she didn't want to give them anything to pay attention to.

"I at least wish you would've let me take some of the weight off of your shoulders," I complained.

She sighed as if she'd said it a thousand times before and replied, "I told you, I'm fine. I walked to the office on my own. I'll be okay."

She attempted to give me a reassuring smile, but all I could see was a scared, nervous girl trying to hide her fears.

"You don't have to do that," I said. "I know you're not okay with this. You're nervous as hell, and I can tell. What kind of a best friend would I be if I couldn't?"

Her smiled faded. She looked at her feet and fiddled with the hem of her shirt. I lifted her chin up so she would look me in the eyes.

"I told you, Maze. I'm not going to leave you."

Her eyes, the most beautiful shade of hazel in the world, sparkled as they met mine. I felt like she was trying to tell me something without actually saying it.

My hand went from her chin to her cheek, my thumb gently brushing under her eye.

"Mazy..." I whispered, "I-"

"Okay kiddos," Mrs. Alps interrupted. We both jumped back. "Your schedules are pretty close. You have eight classes in a day, but you only have two classes you don't have together. Mazy, when you're in choir, Luke will be in Algebra 1, and vice versa."

"What periods?" Mazy asked me.

"She wants to know what periods they are?" I asked.

She looked at the schedules and replied, "Third and fifth."

I smiled. "Thank you, Mrs. Alps."

"No problem," she said, smiling, "You two sweethearts have a good day."

I looked over to a blushing Mazy and pulled her forward.

"Okay," I started, "First period, English. Second period, Biology. Third, your choir, my Algebra. Fourth, Art. Then lunch. Fifth, my choir, your Algebra. Sixth, ASL... I still can't believe you talked me into that." She smiled proudly at me and giggled. "Seventh, World Geography. Eighth, theatre. Sound good to you?"

She shook her head. "No. I can't be alone. I just can't..." I sighed and pulled her into me.

"Let's not think about that right now," I said, "Let's just focus in the first two periods and then when the time comes, you'll be just fine. I promise. I'll walk you to and from both periods we won't be together, and we'll walk to all the classes we do have together with each other. If that'll make you feel better."

"A little," she replied.

About that time the warning bell went off.

"We better get to class," I said. She nodded drearily and started walking while I stood there, watching her.

I hate it when I have to leave her. Almost as much as she hates being left. I didn't like seeing her in pain or uncomfortable. It made me uncomfortable. That's why I do everything and anything I can to help her get her way. Yes, I spoil her, but she never takes it for granted. In fact, she hates that I spoil her so much. She hates it when I give her stuff because she doesn't think she deserves it. Then I usually pout until she caves. So I'm not the only one who spoils in this relationship. She gives me what I want just as much as I give her what she wants. It goes both ways.

"You coming?" she asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"Huh?" I said, "Oh, yeah. I'm coming, I just zoned out, I guess."

She nodded. "Well let's go. We're gonna be late."

I smiled and nodded. I caught up to her with ease. As I passed her, I slipped the bag off of her shoulder and pulled it away from her, slinging it over my own.

"Hey!" she called out.

"You're not getting this back until we get to class," I replied with a wink. She gave me a peeved look, but didn't argue with me because we both know I'd win.

I smiled triumphantly the rest of the way to class.