Trouble In Paradise

Luke

Bliss. All in my life was bliss. Me and Mazy were finally together, I was about to graduate, I had the six best friends any guy could ask for, and it felt like nothing could ever tear my world apart. I was on top of the world, what could possibly ruin this high?

It was Friday, and Mazy said she had something to tell me. I was a little anxious considering how insecure I was about our relationship in the first place. The feeling I got when she told me she needed to talk, kind of scared me.

"Where are we going?" I asked whinily as I sat in the passenger seat of my car. Mazy was driving, refusing to tell me where we were going, and insisted on taking the wheel so I don't spoil the surprise.

She sighed frustratedly, "You've asked me that at least ten times now."

"Okay, you're totally exaggerating," I said, equally as aggrivated, "That was maybe the third time. I'm just nervous, okay? I have no idea what this is about, and for the past fifteen years, I have been afraid to tell you how I feel. You know exactly why, too, so what do you think was the first thought that passed through my head when you said you wanted to talk?"

"Oh, Andy," she replied sympathetically. Her eyes met mine for a few seconds before she had to face the road again. Her right hand grazed my lower arms in search of my hand. As our fingers entiwined, she pulled over slowly and started to speak again, "I am not breaking up with you. I love you, and whether you like it or not, you're stuck with me for as long as you can put up with me."

With her brown eyes shining as they looked into mine, she leaned across the console in between our seats and placed her lips on mine. I kissed her back, relishing in the feeling of our mouths moving in sync.

Mazy pulled away with bright smile and said, "Alright, come on." She opened her door, and I quickly followed after her.

"Maze," I skeptically spoke as I saw the forest in front of me, "What's this? Where are we?"

"Do you not remember?" she asked as she giggled, "We found our locket here."

A warming smile crossed my face as the distant memory replayed in my mind...

*FLASHBACK*

"Lukey! Lukey! Come on, I wanna go in here!" Mazy called to me.

We were in front a bunch of trees. They were really big and scary, and I didn't want to go in the woods, but Mazy was pulling my arm hard.

"Mazy, it looks too scary," I told her, "I want to go home now. Please?"

She huffed at me being a scaredy cat and said, "But there's nothing to be scared of. Pretty please? it looks fun!"

"Okay... I guess so." She was lucky that I loved her.

We walked through without talking. My eyes looked to every tree we passed. They were all so tall and creepy. Most of them had green stuff all over the bottom of the trunks, and they all looked sick and fat. The ground was covered with wet leaves that were all brown and dead and sticky.

"Look what I found!" she yelled, "It's pretty!"

She was holding a necklace with a big gold circle on the end. It had a a heart drawn on it with the letters 'M' and 'L' inside it.

I smiled and said, "Hey. That's what our names start with, Mazy Wazy. 'M' for Mazy and 'L' for Luke!"

"Awesome!" she said with a big, happy, grin, "I'm gonna keep it!"

She grabbed my hand, and we took off out of the woods.

*END FLASHBACK*

When I looked back to Mazy, she was holding the same necklace, with same excited expression, just like how she found it seven years ago.

"You've kept that all the years?" I asked as stepped towards her with the biggest grin wide across my lips.

She nodded proudly and replied, "Of course. I could never forget it, goober. This thing looks exactly the same as it did when we first found it. It's still old, a little rusty, and bent around the edges... but it's ours..."

My hand wrapped around hers, and I gently tucked her hair behind her ear before saying, "I can't believe you. You know that I love you ten times as much now, right?"

Her timid smile told me otherwise. When it slowly faded and her eyes fell to the ground, I knew something was wrong. I tapped her chin with my forefinger lightly, trying to gain her attention again.

"What is it?" I pushed as my mouth touched her forehead, "What's the matter?"

She pulled about a foot away from me, so she could face me with tormented eyes.

"You're going to be mad," she whispered. My eyebrows furrowed.

"Mazy, I could never be mad at you. Granted, that could be a bad thing, but I still can't, nonetheless."

She shook her head and fervently answered, "Not at me. Even though it was my fault, you're going to be more mad at him."

"Him?" My voice cracked on the word. "Tell me you mean something completely different from what I think. At least tell me it's not who I think..."

"No, it didn't happen when we were together... It was after the rehearsal, the one where we got mad at each other..."

We both fell silent. This couldn't be happening, not now. Not when things were falling into place.

"What happened?" I said through gritted teeth.

She grimaced at the sounds and said, "After you left, I went backstage, and Liam asked me what the argument was all about. I didn't want to talk, so I ran outside. He followed me, and kept trying to get me to tell him what was wrong. When I didn't tell him, he said he wanted to help so... I got caught up in the moment and... kissed him..."

She was right. I'm not mad at her. I'm furious with him because he touched my girl. His mouth has touched hers, and that's not okay with me.

He's not going to know what hit him. He'll be unconscious by the time I'm done with him.