Congratulations

Mazy

*Three years later*

"Okay, Maze. Senior year. You're almost there. You made it this far. Just a few more months left, then you're off to college. You'll be done with high school, you'll meet the perfect guy, marry him, have two kids, be an amazing and famous singer, and everything will be fine."

I've given myself that same peptalk every day for the past week. I still don't feel any better... I get the same amount of moves every single year of my first day.

"Mazy!" I heard his voice calming voice say, "I know you're in there. You do this every year, but it always turns out fine. Please just come out..."

He was right. It always did turn out just fine. Because of him. This year, however, he has a girlfriend. The very girl who has hated me since the first time she laid eyes on me. Tiffany Stewart. She still hates me and harasses me all of the time, except when Luke is around.

Honestly, I don't think I can handle this year watching him be with her. He'll be spending most of his time with her now, not me. I'll be in the background with my heart breaking and my headphones blasting to help drown out the pain.

"Come on, Mazy," he said one more time, "You don't want to be late do you?"

"Ugh!" I groaned, "Fine. Just give me two seconds."

He chuckled and I could practically hear the smirk in his voice as he said, "Good girl. You've got a minute before I pull out."

"Okay..." I muttered.

It's not like he would leave me, but I knew how much he liked to tease. What are best friends for?

I checked myself in the mirror. I applied a little more makeup where I had smeared it from putting my face in my hands. I darkened the lines on my eyelids and applied a little more mascara. I took a deep breath and walked out of the bathroom. I quickly ran into my room, grabbing my backpack and slinging it over my shoulder.

As I ran down the stairs, I saw my Mom and Dad standing with balloons and a cake in front of them. Luke was leaning against the wall, of course, smirking.

I looked at them skeptically. Reaching the bottom of the staircase, I notice Calum, Michael, Ashton, Terri, and Sarah standing in front of the couch.

"Umm," I muttered, "What's going on?"

"Happy senior year!" my parents yelled.

"Yay!" Calum screamed as he pulled out a confetti popper and let it loose.

"Thanks guys," I said, "but we're gonna be late if we don't leave soon."

"Nope," Luke replied smoothly, "It's only six forty-five."

I looked at him with a confused expression. "Huh?" I questioned.

He laughed and started towards me. He pulled my phone out of my back pocket, showing me the screen. It read, "6:47".

"Wait," I said, snatching the phone out of his hand, "My alarm said it was seven fifteen, and Mom said I overslept."

He smirked. "Right, because I changed the time and reset the alarm for seven fifteen."

"So I woke up at six like usual and got ready in a rush for no reason?" I asked, a little miffed.

He shrugged. "Well, not for no reason. To celebrate," he replied nodding, still smirking. Cocky asshole.

I slapped his head and dropped my bag next to the bottom stair.

My Mother came up and gave me a hug saying, "Congrats, baby!"

My smiling Father stood behind her winking and giving me a thumbs up.

"Thanks, Mom," I replied, "but I'm not graduating yet. Just going to my first day of senior year. My last first day of high school. Finally."

"Exactly!" she beamed. "I'm just so proud of you. All of you!" She looked to Luke and hugged him as well.

"Thank, Mom," Luke replied.

When we heard a knock on the door, my Mom jumped and wiped her face. Really? She was crying?

She opened the door to find Mr. and Mrs. Bright.

Mrs. Bright took a deep breath and said, "Sorry we're late."

"Of course you are," Luke mumbled quietly in my ear.

I elbowed him in the ribs and griped at him icily. "Luke Andrew! You know they love you. They're just important people who are busy a lot. Cut them some slack."

"My parents don't go anywhere without yours. Yours are equally as busy as mine, and they still find plenty of time for you." He matched my icy tone with just as much if not more more force. "They have no excuse, and no matter what you say, as good as you are at sugarcoating, you can't make them sound any better either."

I didn't respond because a part of me knew he was right. My parents did do everything his parents did. They were always busy, and sometimes I did have to make dinner or clean the house, but they never missed eating with me or helping me put up cleaning supplies. I couldn't make excuses for his parents, and I knew it.

Soon he was engulfed by his Mom as he reluctantly hugged her back. They weren't much for showing affection, but when they did, I couldn't help but smile.

She let go if her son and smiled widely at him. "I'm proud of you, Luke," she told him, "Congratulations, sweetheart. You too, Mazy," she said, looking to me.

"Thank you Mrs. Bright," I replied smiling.

I looked at Luke as he said, "Yeah. Thanks, Mom."

His Father quickly took her place, gripping Luke's arms.

"Good job, son," he said. He smiled and nodded in my direction before walking back towards my parents.

He never has been good with words. I mean, not as bad as me, but still pretty bad. At least not when it came to confessing emotions.

"Mazy!" one of the guys yelled.

I recognized the voice pretty easily. Considering Ashton is the only one of my friends who would randomly yell someone's name in the middle of silence.

"Ash!" I yelled back.

As I turn around, he tackled me saying, "We're seniors!"

"I know!" I laughed as he shook me. When he put me down, the rest of the gang filled in around us, crushing me.

"I can't believe it!" Sarah squealed.

Terri giggled and said, "Me neither! This is going to be epic."

I smiled knowing it was true. This was going to be an amazing year. I was a senior! My last year of high school.

Epic didn't cover half of how awesome it was going to be.