Did Better Than She Thought

Luke

"...but you will not hide who you are in this class," Mr. Lock finished.

He had to have some grudge against us. Why else would he be doing this? He seemed smart enough to know why I didn't say our last names. I don't want people to know who we are quite yet. Apparently I was wrong.

I looked over to Mazy, who looked very nauseous. All eyes were on us, of course she was sick to her stomach. This is what happens when she gets the very thing she hates the most. Attention. We were only twenty minutes in, too.

"Alright, that's enough gawking," he snapped, "Do you children not have enough sense in your heads to see you're making her uncomfortable?"

Thank you. He can be helpful.

The class turned their attention away from us. I heard Mazy sigh as her eyes closed and her tense, rigid body relaxed.

I felt helpless just watching her like that, but I knew if I tried anything, it would just get us in more trouble. And that was the last thing she needed, more attention. Especially from the principal on her first day.

She opened her eyes and met my gaze.

'You okay?' I mouthed.

She shook her head and put her hand on her forehead. She slowly raised her hand to get Mr. Lock's attention.

"Yes?" he asked.

"Can I be excused to the bathroom please?" her quiet voice requested.

"Ah, you can speak," he replied, "Good to know. Yes, you may go."

She stood up and rushed to his desk to grab the pass, but before she went, he whispered something to her.

She mumbled her 'thank you' to him and walked out of the room. She didn't return for the rest of the class period. Mr. Lock didn't seem the least bit surprised, and honestly, neither was I. I couldn't blame her. If I felt the way she did, then I wouldn't have come back either.

As I walked out of class, I saw the bathrooms conveniently across the hall. A girl I didn't recognize was about to go in and use it before I stopped her.

"Hey, can you do me a huge favor?" I asked.

She glanced left and right before saying, "Depends."

"On?" I asked, a little frustrated that she wouldn't just do it.

"Well for one, I don't know you, and two, what is it you want me to do?" she said skeptically.

"My name is Luke..." I held my hand out to her for her to shake.

"Terri. Terri Johnson," she replied, "What's the favor?"

"Nice to meet you. Okay, I just need you to see if Mazy is in there. If she is tell her that I'm out here. Please?"

She nodded and walked into the bathroom. The next thing I know, Mazy is running out of the bathroom and tackling me.

"Whoa, killer," I said, "Easy. I'm fragile."

"Oh, God, Luke. That was awful," she said frantically, "I mean, everyone was looking at me, and all I could do was sit there. I really don't know what to think about that teacher because he put me on the spot like that, but then he let me out of the class and told me to take as long as I needed. I'm so confused, and I don't know what to do or how to feel. I just want to go home. I shouldn't have come, I knew I couldn't handle it. I-"

"Mazy!" I interrupted, "Breath." She inhaled deeply through her nose and let it out through her mouth. "Look, you've got this. You're getting better. Last year you would've thrown up right then and there in the classroom." She glared at me slightly. "I'm proud of you. You did so much better than you could've done, and so much better than you expected, huh?" Her face softened as she nodded. "Yeah. You did amazing. Hey, we're gonna be late. Let's go."

She nodded again and said, "Okay." I started to walk away before she stopped and continued, "Luke," I turned around to face her, "Thank you." She smiled, and I returned it. I pulled her into me so I could squeeze her tightly. As we started to walk, I kept my arm around her shoulder as her arms went around my abdomen.

"You're welcome," I whispered against her hair.

We walked in the classroom and sat down in the back just as the bell rang.

I hope to God the rest of the day goes better for her.