Chapter Thirty Seven

**When you see ITIHYKOL that stand for It's That I Hate You Kind of Love**

"Hey." I sniffed, slumping against the wall and pushing the glass into his hand. "I brought you water."

He still wouldn't look at me. His hand tightened, then quickly loosened, simply letting the glass fall to the carpet. It splashed water all over my bare feet and the cuffs of his baggy sweat pants. Neither him or I flinched. I watched the clear droplets slowly sink into dark spots.

My eyes found his face, but it was tilted away so as to make it unreadable. I swallowed. Slowly lifting my hand, I rested it on one of his bound wrists. To my relief he didn't flinch away, and let me gently untie the rope.

I hesitated before dropping the rope and looking at his hidden expression. His arms were wrapped around his knees like a giant kid, but I still couldn't see his face to know if it was just as childish.

"Ben," I choked out. "You have to talk to me."

He didn't move.

"I can help you. I understand what it's like- I know what you're going through." I paused and heaved a shaky breath, before admitting, "sort of."

Ben's head turned away from me. The action seemed to put my lungs in a chokehold. I quickly grabbed his hand, hoping upon hope that he wouldn't pull away.

"Please, tell me what you're thinking." I begged. "I'm your sister, and you're scaring me. Talk to me."

I couldn't explain the swell of desperation that had suddenly come over me as I squeezed his large hand in mine and watched him worriedly. Silence had fallen over us. I couldn't bare it.

"Ben, please." I pleaded quietly. "What can I do?"

Waiting with a forced patience, I stared at him, until finally, he pushed my hand away. I bit the inside of my cheek and dejectedly sunk against the wall.

Unfamiliar quiet shrouded over us again. I could see Emily's and Carson's shadows pacing outside the door, back and forth, back and forth. For a split second I had the urge to go to them and yell that Ben was acting like a stranger, a person even I could barely recognize.

Truthfully it was terrifying.

"Please." I tried once more. Only stony silence greeted my ears. I pursed my lips together watching him for a long minute, before speaking again quietly. "Instead, I could talk? Explain?"

I pulled my knees to my chest like my brother had, and clasped my hands around them. I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Alright, well, what should I tell you?" I glanced at his still figure. "Right. We'll start with everything."

With a deep breath, I began explaining everything since I had first been claimed by Carson. I told him about fighting back, meeting the high-ranked werewolves, even Emily.

When I spoke about the blonde outside, Ben had stiffened and his hands had twitched. I promoted her kindness and humor, but something was telling me that it was agitating Ben even more and I moved on.

I told him about the pain I felt being away from Carson, my quick friendship with Zach and getting on better terms with Jay. As the words fell from my tongue so did the weight of holding them from my brother. It wasn't sure that he would get it, actually I doubted that he would, but surely it wouldn't hurt.

"So," I sighed heavily, my eyes trained on the opposite wall from where we were sitting. I was telling him about Bailey notifying me about her parents kicking her out. "She was crying, and that's when I called you and mom."