Chapter Thirty Nine

**When you see ITIHYKOL that stand for It's That I Hate You Kind of Love**

Brianne Devon.

I was outside on the porch with Bailey watching my mom's car disappear from sight and words falling from my lips, "Bailey, it's too dangerous around here. The Beta- I'm scared for you" and I was thinking of-

Brianne.

What's that saying? Something like, friends come and go? Yeah, friends come and go; the matter was I didn't know if my best friend since third grade was one of them.

I didn't really miss her. I was numb.

I had the sudden urge to throw my head back and laugh.

I crossed my arms across my chest. "You need to leave Bails."

"What are you talking about? " Her eyes narrowed. "Not you too! I told Jay and I'll tell you. I'm not going anywhere."

Worrying my bottom lip between my teeth, I grabbed her arm and climbed down the steps. Lowering my head and voice in a whisper I tiredly explained, "The Beta heard our conversation." Bailey stiffened. "So he knows that Jay is your mate. He's pissed, I could hear him flipping out in his office earlier before he left. That's why you need to leave now."

Bailey's eyes were wide with fear as she chewed the inside of her cheek. "But, but Jay-"

"If the Beta tortures his own son like that, what do you think he'll do to you?"

She gulped.

"I can't just go. I can't abandon Jay."

"We'll have to find him then."

"In the dark?"

I looked out at the forest, shaking my head at the long shadows stretching like bony fingers in the house's pool of escaping yellow light. Tired, numb frustration built inside me, ignited by fear.

"You really think the Beta would kill?" Bailey whispered, shifting closer and wiping her palms on her jeans repetitively.

The scene from the party flashed behind my pupils; the glare that he had given me freezing my bones and causing instant concern for the well-being of my throat. I swallowed bile at the danger he represented to Bailey.

"Definitely."

Bailey was staring at me, her eyes widened with fear and her arms crossed tightly over her ribs. Her lips were moving but her words didn't reach my ears. My eyes slid past her as two figures emerged from the eerie forest. I gripped her arm, spinning her around.

Jay was drenched in black, both in his clothing, his mussed black hair and the darkness clinging to his pale skin. His fists were clenched at his sides, severe eyes downcast.

By his side, Carson was like a bright light; blonde hair, blue eyes, white t-shirt, tired thin-lipped smile. A shot of adrenaline raced to my heart.

"Good?" I asked him as he stopped in front of me. His smile lifted and he shrugged.

"You?"

"I could be better. The beta heard me, my mom and Bailey talking. He knows about Bailey and Jay."

Jay who was holding Bailey's forearm stopped mid sentence, his head whipping in my direction. "What?" I think he was scared. He stepped back, his hands gripping his hair and his dark eyes wild. "He knows? He knows." Jay was swearing, his body shaking out of control and his muscles contracting. Carson was there on one side and Bailey on the other and they were pushing him inside the house, trying to soothe him.