Chapter Twenty-One.

This chapter long azhell a.k.a, I didn't feel like editing for real. Oh well.

***

"I think I'm gonna go home for Christmas, Michael."

"What?" He turned slowly to look at me with confused eyes.

"Yea. Actually, I bought my ticket last night on a whim."

"Look, I know I haven't really been here the last few weeks, but you know it's the movie. Please don't do this to punish me. This is our first Christmas together."

I frowned at his accusation that I was doing this in retaliation to his frequent late nights and early mornings. "Why would I do that, Michael? I want to be with you more than anything, but I know you'll be gone and I'll be lonely again at Christmastime when I don't have to be."

He frowned at me then pulled me into his arms. "I don't like that we won't be together, but I understand. I don't want you to be alone." He held me a little tighter, almost to the point of uncomfortableness. "I miss you so much, Jay."

"I miss you more, I think. All that time we spent up under each other spoiled me." I looked at him and pouted, silently asking for a kiss. He obliged and hugged me a while longer.

"This is going to be the last Christmas we aren't together. Understand?" I shook my head in agreement. "I have to go, but look, I promise to be at home earlier this week. I want to spend as much time with you as possible before you leave."

Of course that was a promise he didn't keep. After the third night of his absence, I just decided to go back to my place. I felt like I slept worse at his house when he wasn't there, than when I was at my condo alone. He didn't notice I was gone until two days later.

"Babe, where are you? Did you leave? I don't see your stuff." He called me questioning my whereabouts.

"I came home. I can't sleep in your place alone."

"My place is your home."

"It doesn't feel that way," I whined. "You're never there, I'm living out of my suitcase and most of my stuff is still at my condo."

"Then have my assistant set up a time to move everything. I don't want to come home another night and you're not there. I can't sleep without you."

"Whatever. You didn't even notice I've been gone two days."

"Of course I noticed, but I recognize you need your space sometimes, I know this is a big adjustment for you."

"You're right, but you could have at least told me you noticed."

"You're right, I'm sorry. So can you come home now?"

"I think I'm just going to stay here until I leave for Christmas, it'll just be easier for me to pack. Don't forget we have Lamaze tomorrow, and then I'm headed straight to the airport."

"It's on my calendar. I'll be there and I'm taking you to the airport too." I could tell by his tone that he was not pleased with my decision to stay at my condo, but honestly I didn't care.

"You don't have to do that Michael."

"The fuck? Yes, I do." He sounded offended.

"I mean I can just get in an Uber. It's no big deal, really."

"I'm taking you to the airport and that's it, Janeé. Why would I let your pregnant ass get into an Uber when I'm gonna be right there? If I wasn't, I'd get a driver to take you, but I'll be there. Speaking of which, a car service is going to pick you up before class and I'll meet you there."