CHAPTER [ 6 2 ]

Mulai dari awal

Rick grinned, "yeah," he breathed, "but I'd seen you before that, at school. You're hard to miss, you know?"

Heat rose up to her cheeks. Robyn looked at her hands shyly. The light turned green and they were off again. Rick was quiet for a long time after that, letting the suspense grow.

"Do you like hanging out with me?"

The question took Robyn by surprise, "of course I do."

"We see each other more often than you see Ray, you realise that don't you?"

Robyn shifted uncomfortably. She realized that, even more now that he pointed it out.

"So what?" She asked.

"So... why are you with him?"

That question was tough to answer. She couldn't even begin to tell him why. Perhaps because she didn't entirely know the reason herself. She felt something different in Ray's presence, that was all she knew. Something inside her called to him and only him.

When she didn't answer Rick glanced at her sideways, "all right, at least tell me why you were running away from him just now?"

Robyn crossed her arms, unsure of how to answer that question either.

"Why are we discussing my relationship?" She said.

"I asked you a question first."

"Does it matter?"

Rick blew out a long sigh, "it does to me," he said, "I need to know."

Robyn turned that over in her head. After a while, she uncrossed her arms and said, "I'm a little upset with him at the moment."

The ghost of a smile played at Rick's mouth, "you two are having problems?"

"Kind of," Robyn watched him for a long moment, "is this all you wanted to talk about?"

"No," he said. They drove in silence the rest of the way. The rain had slowed to a drizzle. The street was quiet as Rick pulled up in front of Robyn's house.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and faced Rick squarely, waiting for him to speak.

Rick held tightly onto the steering wheel, staring at it with unfocused eyes. He blew out a shaky breath.

"There's something I need to tell you."

Robyn touched his forearm to make him look at her. He did. Just as she was about to pull her hand away, he took hold of it. His hands were as she remembered them to be from the night they went skating. Completely opposite from Ray's.

"I like you," he confessed, "from the moment I saw you, I've really, really liked you."

The rain had soaked through his shirt

The rain had soaked through his shirt. He didn't care. It was refreshing and welcome. Twigs crunched under his heavy feet as he followed the scent deeper into the woods. It was harder to trace because of the rain, but he was a highly trained wolf and this was something he had done hundreds of times before.