Still Waters

January 16th

15 days after the shooting

2 weeks and 1 day of Rose's coma

I've watched the stillness of her face for hours. 360 hours in total, after she had fallen into a coma. 360 hours after she had last glared at me, spoke to me, fought with me.

360 hours of pure emptiness.

Angela would have told me to relax, that life always takes a turn for the worse when we don't expect it. That at times like these, patience is what outlasts everything. And hope.

How foolish.

I wait and wait and wait... By her bed, where her body is limply laying, skin pale and lips blue. She appeared dead, but the screen showed the steady beat of her heart. It was like she was mocking me for all the times I had spat on her. For all the times that I had showed her how much I resented her guts.

I was sure that she was involved. I was sure that she was the one. It was just a matter of time before she exposes herself, before she runs into a dead end and shows us her true colors.
There was no way this woman, the arrogant girl with no empathy whatsoever, could be innocent.

Couple of times, she surprised me. But mostly, I saw no emotion in those eyes. Nothing but void that stretched further than the roots of this hotel.

I was wrong.

There's only two people in this world who would jump in front of a bullet for somebody. That I know of, of course. Angela was one of them.
And yet Rose...Did it. She moved, so fast, jumping right in front us. I don't even know how she did it, how she managed to block the bullet.

And then...her eyes closed.

When it happened, only her words rang in my mind. I didn't understand them. I still don't. I don't know what to think, I don't know what to believe, I don't know how to help her.
She's not the killer. She's not the person that took my Angela away. She is the only person...who could let her rest in peace.

Rose... She is a genius. She knew nothing of me, yet she knew that Angela had been my lover. Or...As far as we got to being lovers. I was blind. While she was working hard, I was only standing in her way, thinking that I was right. Thinking that I could get justice for the girl and Angela herself.

I made a fool out of myself.

Causing her to almost die.

I don't remember how many times I looked at her face, expecting to see those piercing eyes staring right back at me.

I don't know how many times...I chanted the prayers Angela had taught me.
I wasn't religious. But they sometimes helped me sleep. This time, I hoped they would help her wake up.

The door to the room opened. I didn't have to turn and look in order to know the person that ventured in. Elle would come and go. She would bring food, then stay for a while, then go again. She was sad. Sadder than before.

The whole hotel was...It just felt dark and devastating. I couldn't look Ione in the eye too. The woman also came to visit a couple of times.

And I didn't understand it.

Rose...Why did you do it?

"You should go and eat something...You'll lose even more weight."

I didn't reply. There was no need. I would stay here in case she wakes up. I will be the first face she sees, the first sight that envelopes her senses. I will be here to give her a glass of water, to help her eat and drink, to tell her what happened.

Or so I convinced myself. I knew that my pride would never let me do something for someone, but at least I could try. I could try this once.

"Isaac...You have to take care of yourself...We can't lose you too."

"Shut up."

I hissed out, my gaze remaining on Rose's immobile form. I heard Elle sigh, a sign that she had once again given up on trying to pry me away from my place. I felt the atmosphere shift as she walked towards the door, my hands balling into fists.

"Tonight is Ivory's funeral. I hope you'll be there."

Ivory. That pink haired fool. He went crazy, ballistic. He didn't know what to do with Rose, he blamed himself. Until the bastard returned and this time they managed to take him.

Rose, we need you.

My family, this place that had raised me and given me a new, much better life, was in danger. We were slowly shortening in members, ever since the killings there has been a little less customers. Ione did everything she could, but...There was no saying what tomorrow would bring.

Nobody knew...

There was only one hope for us. Despite having riches, despite having everything we wish for, we were powerless against this person that was murdering us.
There was only one that could save us.

Rose, please...Wake up.

I hated being weak. I hated being vulnerable. But all I wanted now was for her to wake up, to gaze at me, to give me a snarky remark and to solve this mystery.

All I wanted was for her to...

Burying my face into the palms of my hands, I groaned out quietly. I was weak. So weak.

I didn't know what to do.

I don't know what to do.

Rose...wake up.

Please.

••••••

I'm sorry DemonKingKarnage but this is not the end of the book and I was just messing with you 😂😂

Did you expect Isaac to be the main POV? Nah? Thought so.

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!

-E.J