Scream

December 31st

Sometime in the early morning

6th day after the murder of Angela

My eyes snapped open with a start. The world around me was a tilting ship, as if  I was out on the sea, sleeping in the very core of the transportation vehicle. The darkness swirled, my eyes watered, causing me to rub vigorously against the dizziness in my vision.
The room was pitch black, almost as if the sky and the moon had become one, with no light whatsoever passing through the curtains of the room.

I felt hot. Boiling all over, so much that my skin itched from that sensation.

I didn't need to question why it was so suffocating in my bed. Isaac was cocooned around me like a monkey to its mother, arms and legs both over me, holding me in place. It was like I had truly turned into a body pillow that he loved so much and couldn't sleep without it.
As much as I just wanted to turn around, admire his sleeping face and then fall asleep whilst listening to him breathe, I needed air and coldness.

It took me more than, what felt like, a half an hour to wriggle out of the man's vice grip. Even then, he reached out to grab his supporting pillow, but only slumped against the bed, his arm hanging off the edge. He reeked of alcohol and the whole room smelled of sex, sweat and heat.
I ventured to the window and opened it, letting the cold air seep in while I did my deed in the bathroom.

It felt strange. Returning to a bed that was warmed by another.

I felt reluctant. Even contemplated on sneaking off to Elle's room, but I knew that she was dead on her bed and across her man too. Sighing, I accidentally caught my reflection in the mirror. My neck looked ten times worse than it did before Isaac's kiss attacks, it almost made me cringe.
It looks ugly.

I would have to cover that up.

My naked body bathed in the winter air that filled the room, chilling it and sucking out the filthy smell. I took one of the robes offered on the bathroom door and draped it over myself.

Then I left the room.

I figured a small walk around the territory would calm my nerves and I would be able to go back to sleep soon after. I didn't even know what time it was.

Probably some time in the morning. 4 or 5 o'clock, when the roosters are already up and announcing their wakefulness.

My bare feet padded against the cold tiles, a shiver running up and down my spine at the change of temperature, the one of my body dropping significantly. Some would worry about their health in these circumstances, but I had a much issue on my hand.

It was the sixth day after Angela had been murdered. And some irregular day after the other girl was massacred. No strange occurrences on the fifth day, nothing with the beginning of the sixth.
But, we can't be too sure and no one can be too careful.
I passed the stairs and the elevator, going in the direction of the second wing. Just as the thought of nothing happening passed through my head, I swore I heard a muffled whisper, or some sort of a sob.
When nothing could be heard while I was standing between the two flight of stairs, I pursed my lips and moved forwards.

Only, it wasn't the wind that was sending the silent cries, it was a legitimate sob coming from a person. A girl. It was so quiet, timid, barely even audible to those who had extremely good hearing. I had just passed the second flight when it came, my head popping out right behind the corner.

With my heart in my throat and without any possible way to protect myself, I picked the choice of going down the stairs alone.

I was lucky. The corridors, lobby and every corner of the Hotel, excluding rooms where people slept or had sex  was illuminated by  the light from the chandeliers. My eyes trailed over every dark spot, searching for the source, even going as far as looking behind every corner that was near the stairs and the elevator. My feet then reached the very beginning of my adventure with this hotel, the spot between the lobby and backyard, where Angela was brutally killed.

The doors were fixed and appeared to be safely locked.

There was no host or hostess at the reception. The entrance door was unlocked, anyone could walk in without any trouble. I made my way over to it and opened the door for just a crack.

There was a guard standing in front of it. I recognized the back immediately.

Damien stood tall, with his arms in front of him, his black suit on and the look of a murdered so strongly on his face. I exhaled in relief, not minding the fact that he might hear me. Which he did, turning instantly and quirking one of his thick eyebrows at me.

"I thought I heard crying."

I stated, closing the robe even tighter around myself. Damien gave me a weird look before just silently turning around and resuming his job as the watchdog of the Hotel. I gently pursed my lips, turning away and letting the door settle closed.

Utter silence spread. My ears got so used to the monotone nothingness, that I could even hear my own breathing ringing inside my head.

Until another sob sliced through the air.

It was so close.

So close, right under my nose.

I skipped over half the lobby, to the reception and all the way to the other side, searching where in came from. Once it announced itself again, I followed the source to the desk where the host or hostess is supposed to be. Rounding it, my knees almost buckled when my eyes landed on the sight.

It wasn't, in fact, anything scary. Definitely not a bloody murder. But my body was so hyped on adrenaline, that when relief flooded through me, my body almost gave out.

I stared down at Elle, curled up on the floor behind the big desk, crying into her hands.
She still hadn't noticed me and I didn't make any unnecessary sounds, so I leaned away and turned my back to the girl. My lips pressed into a thin line, I thought about what to do.

If I walk away now, I'd be the real heartless bitch. If I try to help, I'd have to listen and comfort her, which really wasn't something I do as a 'friend'. Plus, we aren't friends. If I call for Damien, he might actually be the cause for her crying, so I refrained from that too.

Turning away is the only option. Stepping once, my heartbeat comes to a halt with a nasty cry coming from her and the words Isaac spoke invade my mind.

Elle likes you.

She was the only person that does, in reality. Cursing under my breath, I turned around and finally came to her side. My hand cupped her shoulder and I shook her very gently. Her hands went from her face, eyes wet and red from tears and crying stared at me with hurt, sorrow and pain.
I was at a loss for words, not really knowing what to say in a situation like this.

Elle, seemingly understanding my struggle, clasped my hand so gently, that I barely felt her touch. She sat up and then pulled me to sit down with her. Awkwardly, I did, our shoulders pressed together until she proceeded to hug me, making my whole body go rigid. Her head came to rest between my neck and shoulder, her breath fanning over my bruises.

Neither of us said anything.

I already saw that this wouldn't end any time soon, so I closed my eyes for a very brief moment.
However, tiredness took over me and the comfort of her body suddenly relaxed me so much that I...Drifted off to sleep.

It wasn't until at least half an hour later, by my perception of time, that I heard a loud, piercing scream come from the direction of my room.

•••••

Well, I know I've been moving the updates around, but I really need to clear my schedule sometimes and it just happens that that has to be either Wednesday or Thursday. Sorry for that!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and thank you so much for 11k reads babies!!! ❤

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!

Toodles
-E.J