Chapter 3 Lucy's Birthday!

Lucy wakes up and blinks twice. She yawns!  She stretches. She gets up. She looks at the time.  It is seven am!  She smiles and thinks, it is here!  Today is my birthday, I am twenty-two now!  Goodness, last year sure went by fast. She gets dressed.  She looks at herself in the mirror.  She puts on some blush, a shiny pink color, then a little bit of blue eye shadow and finally some pink lip gloss. She brushes her hair. The entire time she thinks, I certainly do not look a year older.  

     Natsu gets up and gets dressed. He thinks, today is Lucy's birthday!  I wonder if would be appropriate to bring her a present.  He smiles. He decides he will bring her a little something anyway.  He shakes his head at the thought of a cake.  He is not so sure the gesture would not me misread.

    Lucy hears the doorbell ring at her place around lunch time. She thinks, Hmm, who could it be?  Levy is out of town with Gajeel on business, Juvia and Gray are on a date, Ezra is busy too, so who in the world could it be on my porch right now?   She decides their is only one way to find out.  She goes to answer the door.

    Lucy opens the door and sees Natsu. She blushes. She thinks, it was thoughtful of him to drop by.  She invites him inside.  Natsu hesitates at first, until Lucy smiles at him.  He enters her home and takes a look around. 

     "Natsu what brings you here?"   Lucy asks after she closes the door behind him.

   "I came to see how you were!"  Natsu says.

   "I am great thanks, and how are you?"  Lucy says.

   "I am great too, Luce!"  Natsu says and grins at her.

   " I got something for you!  Hope you like it and Happy Birthday, Luce!"  Natsu says.

    "Thanks,  Natsu!"   Lucy says,

       Lucy takes the small box, he holds out to her.  She slowly removes the ribbon.  She removes the necklace inside!  She hugs him.  Natsu hugs her back and thinks, Luce why do you do this to me?  He is taken aback by her kind gesture and steps back. 

    "Natsu, why it's  lovely!"  Lucy says.

    "I am glad you like it!" Natsu says. He thinks, you are lovely.  Much lovelier than anything and anyone I have ever met.

       Lucy struggles to fasten the necklace. It is a simple gold chain with a L pendant attached to it. The bottom of the L has a single diamond attachment to it.  

      Natsu notices she could use some help. He reaches over and assist her. He gently connects the fastener to the chain, as he does he feels his fingers touch her neck.  He lets go when he finishes. He steps away.  

     " What do you think?  How does it look on me?"  Lucy asks.

    " It looks stunning on you as does the dress and pumps."  Natsu says. He blushes when he realizes he just gave her a compliment out loud.  

      "Th-thanks, N-Natsu."  Lucy says. She feels shy all of a sudden. She thinks, just relax.  It is only Natsu, no big deal.   The compliment was probably a slip up nothing more. 

       "Look, I was just about to go out!"  Lucy says.

   "Oh, I will go then!"  Natsu says.

    "It would be great if you could tag along.  It has been awhile since we last hung out!"  Lucy says.

    "Are you sure I wouldn't just get in the way?"  Natsu says.

   " There is no way you could ever be in the way!  Why you are my best friend!"  Lucy says.

   "Well, in that case, I will be happy to hang out with you Luce!"  Natsu says.