33.

He collects her things from the floor, one by one. Mason folds the collection of his tee shirts that Blake brought with her carefully, she did not choose make up or her magazines, silly things girls like to keep. His bride brought only things that hold a sentiment towards himself, she trusted him, with her heart and with her body...... no more will that trust be offered.

She doesn't speak, hasn't for the last hour, and now noon approaches.

Exhausted is how Mason feels but he knows the inevitable rest will not recharge his weary heart, he will wake with the same heavy feeling in his limbs, his chest.

Mason lays on his bed, all lights out and so the darkness is only broken by the small window above his Queen, it illuminates her reverently, like a spotlight on a dancer. Just the sight of her curled and forlorn breaks his heart.

His heart needs to harden the fuck up, she may not be showering him with love and affection, but she is alive and well.

Mason closes his eyes and sees those of his mates, bright and wild and greener than he's ever known. Her face was beautiful, her smile lethal and genuine. When he caught up to her in the forest, so close to the road, when she saw he was no threat to her kill, his mate kissed him unlike he's ever been kissed before.
Passion is not a word strong enough, her tongue laced with blood rolled with his and Mason quickly reacted. His body hard in an instant, Mason could have devoured his lover just to taste the human she had slain.

His minds eye recalls the sensual way her breasts bounced with every hard thrust, the way her hair looked against the rough bark of the tree, the way his mate howled as she orgasmed, full wolf visage clear to his wide shocked eyes.

Bright green any forest would envy with flashes of gold Zeus's lightning bolt can only hope to rival.

It's a moment Mason will never forget, but his bride remembers nothing.

Shame hits him hard thinking perhaps it wasn't his sweet gentle bride he made love to, perhaps he has betrayed his wife with the monster inside her? Would she ever forgive him?

Sweet dreams, my queen. I love you.

"You do not scream, you do not try for escape. If you need for anything it's too late now, perhaps tomorrow, you will rethink your silence" Mason grumbles instead of the words he wishes to say.

"Perhaps tomorrow, I will rethink not gutting you with the claws you gave me? Only time will tell asshole" Blake mutters with poison in every word.

Mason feels the heavy weight of sleep as it creeps up his legs, it consumes his body so movement is futile, his arms become paralysed as does his head, his eyes close and oblivion finds him. Nothing is all that greets him on the other side of conscious, that's all he's ever known, so startled is an understatement when the darkness is diffused by endless stars both above and below, Mason stands on nothing and before him stands a woman, naked and beyond any beauty Mason has ever known.

"Hello my child" she bows as way of greeting.
Mason falls to his knees at once.
"Hello, mother"

"You certainly are at wits end, are you not?" She sighs and although he heard no movements Nyx's soft hand strokes his bowed head.
"I am my goddess, I desperately seek your guidance"
"You seek only the strength that lies within Mason. My king is wise and patient and knowing, you seek only a reminder of the truth" she smiles and one finger under Mason's chin raises him to his feet.