31.

If Mason could die, this would be it.

If he was mortal, this is what it would feel like.

Pain in every inch of his body, his muscles jerk and convulse rejecting the venom that swims trough his system. He knows any minute another death will claim him, thankful to the monster inside him, he knows this is but one more death he will wake from.

Today, Mason might even welcome death, if he didn't still have a job to do.
His bride, his mate, his lover, chose another. She willingly placed herself in direct danger and sat with his enemy, she intentionally broke her vow to do so.

Mason is incomparably angry, not even her kisses with Hartley stirred a rage this hot. Not even killing three of the Jorogumo's brethren has been enough to bring it to simmer.
Not even Blake's heartfelt and sincere apologies has cooled him down.

No tonight Mason cannot stand to be at her side, he cannot trust her right now and trust is what he needs. His body drips with a sweat in an attempt to expel the toxin, every time his body rejects the blood of his enemy a little more violently, unconsciousness will find him and Mason will have no choice but to sleep.

Her mate could come for her right now, there would be nothing he could do, but inside his spiteful mind perhaps, right now, he doesn't care.

Perhaps his Queen prefers it?
Perhaps Mason is the monster she cannot tolerate?

Perhaps his bride can conjure the gold fire in her eyes at will, perhaps she falsely lets him believe he brings her joy?
In her last moments with him this day, he would have believed she be the happiest woman this miserable world has ever seen. Because of him, because of his love.

Mason grips his temples so hard he feels the veins in both his head and his hands protrude, he drips with a burning sweat, the trembling stops........ the sound of Blake's cries fade from his ears..... Mason cannot see, then finally he is still......

Perhaps this time death may take hold?
Perhaps he doesn't mind?