21.

Mason watches his bride sleep, he combs her silken hair with his fingers so her beautiful face is clear of obstructions. He didn't know how good it was to have company, he never knew he missed it all this time.

What would he ever do without her?

Now he knows the value of conversation, human connection, soft curves and a pretty smile to make his chest ache.
The past week has taught him what it means to live.

"Are you staring at me again?"

Mason watches a smile cross Blake's face and she stretches long and slow with her eyes still shut.
"I could lie if it makes you more comfortable?" Mason whispers and sneaks a kiss of her lips the moment he knows she's waking up.

He's waited hours to kiss this woman.

"It would actually, tell me you just woke up because I haven't seen you sleep since that time you wouldn't wake up" Blake mumbles and wraps her arms around his neck to keep him close.
Mason nuzzles her face and kisses her neck, he contemplates the fact she'll find out sooner or later.

"I don't sleep Blake, not like you do"

Blake opens her eyes to look at him, is she seeing him different? Does his mate now think like everyone else and call him freak?

"Of course you sleep, right?" She frowns.
"I sleep only two hours a day, everyday. Noon till two, no exceptions. I cannot be woken and I cannot prevent it" Mason admits like it's a weakness.

"Wow, that's handy. Unless you have hot lunch date" Blake giggles and her deep green eyes glimmer with gold. "Wait?! If you're not sleeping, then what are you doing in bed? Mason don't you tell me you just watch me all night? Oh gods tell me I don't snore, or worse, fart in my sleep?!" Blake cringes and hides her face in his neck.

Mason lets out a breath, she is only concerned for her own humility.

"Only once, but I blame the Indian curry you brought home for dinner" Mason laughs and holds her warm naked body to his.
"Kill. Me. Now" Blake groans.

"And I don't watch you the whole time. I close my eyes sometimes to just enjoy the feel of you, mostly I smooth the frown you wear while dreaming. Your nightmares are increasing"
"You keep me in this bed and I'm grateful, if I have to see those eyes outside my dreams I will lose my shit" Blake mutters with a grimace.

"Then perhaps you will cancel the trip that means you will not be home after your shift tonight?" Mason can only hope.

"You know about that?" She squeaks surprised.

Mason nods just once, he doesn't like that she thinks to leave him anymore than he likes being kept in the dark.

"How?" She narrows her eyes like he's the one in the wrong for knowing.
"You know I hear many things. Things whispered even from inside trucks over the sound of your music. I cannot help such things" he shrugs thankful he can.
"Mason my truck hadn't even turned on the driveway yet, I'm lucky to hear beyond the tree line" Blake balks.
"My whole life has been lived in silence, my own the only voice for miles. It makes me sensitive to sounds" he offers as way of explanation.

"I have to go, I need answers. I wish you could be with me, I wish I could hide behind you when I face my parents. You have your reasons for staying and I have mine for leaving, at least you don't have an insane need for my blood that drives you crazy"

Blake sinks her teeth into his neck, she really tries hard, she sucks and she bites giving Mason goosebumps and desire.

"My father commanded it, I am to never leave the house. The woods are dangerous" Mason admits.
"Oh Mason, I'm sure they are. For a six year old boy. You're a man now, and no thanks to his help. Have you really never left this house? School? Family? Church?" Blake looks at him with pity in her sleepy eyes.