Prologue

Shadows multiply and thicken the air around her, they swirl and converge till darkness is all she knows.
Fear steals the breath from her lungs, churns in her stomach making limbs tremble and skin pirickle. Fear becomes something tangible she can taste on her tongue, fear removes everything she's ever known.

Two glowing red dots appear like a lazy cat slowly opening its eyes, but this is no soft and fuzzy kitty. 

The eyes belong to something much more sinister and terrifying, her mate.

He's found her, again.

Fear is everything he needs from her, fear is what he craves.

This time she knows he won't leave without her, this time one one them will have to die.

Death is the only option, she cannot love a monster....

Right?

****

Mason King remembers little about his parents, for as long as he can remember he's been alone in the word.
He knows they exist, the food deliveries and weekly allowances keep coming but since the age of six, the age of man, he's raised himself.
A loner and recluse, Mason keeps to the basement of his family home that he opened to boarders two years ago.
People don't understand him, freak is what they call him.
Mason agrees, the things that go through his head... the urges.

Yeah he agrees.

Blake Mallory is on a mission to prove herself, only child and raised with wealth she has struggled to find her own identity, her own purpose in life.
Abandoning her birthright and position within her family business Blake takes herself across country and waits tables while she studies nursing by night. Her ambition to help the needy is altruistic and her generous heart often gets her into trouble.

Trouble, like her landlord. The enigmatic Mason King.