misletoe

Lili and Cole had decided to spend Christmas with their own families this year. They knew it's what they needed, but oh how they had missed each other. So when the morning of December 26 came around, neither of them were sad to say goodbye. They were content with the time they'd had, and couldn't spend one more minute apart from each other.

"I have a surprise for you when we get home." Cole had told her over the phone the night before.

"B-But we already exchanged gifts." Lili responded, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

"Oh, I know. I love you," he said, she could feel his smile, "Now go to sleep, my love. I'll see you tomorrow afternoon."

"I can't wait."

The moment Lili's plane touched the ground in Vancouver, she felt a wave of happiness and excitement. One week apart is a long time when it comes to the love of your life.

She first spotted him as she was coming down the escalator, a bouquet of roses in his hands. He was so excited to see her, he didn't care who was around.

"Hi, baby girl." he whispered in her ear as she jumped in his arms.

"Merry Christmas, love." she responded, taking his hand and leading him out the door.

When they reached their home, Cole stopped Lili under the doorway.

"I have something for you." he told her, reaching into his pocket and pulling a long box.

He opened the box to reveal a chain with a small, gold C.

"Before you say anything, I didn't just get this for you. I got this for both of us. I'll always be right next to your heart. Always." he promised, putting the necklace around her neck.

"I don't know what to say," Lili whispered, tears filling her eyes, "It's beautiful. I love it."

She clutched the initial in her hand and smiled, already feeling his presence on her.

"Hey," he said, interrupting her thoughts, "Look above you."

"Mistletoe."

Cole leaned in and placed a soft kiss on Lili's lips. It felt perfect. Infinite.

"Merry Christmas, Cole."

"Merry Christmas, baby."