Chapter 33: My father's family

Amelia inhaled deeply before knocking on the door twice.

"Come in." She heard from the other side of the door.

She took one more deep breath before entering the room. When she did, Carl and Chandler immediately got up.

"Princess?"

Amelia smiled a bit before looking down. It felt weird hearing her grandfather call her princess. "You can just call me Amelia," She looked at them again. "Both of you."

They nodded but said nothing else, they seemed paralyzed. Amelia wondered if they were thinking about this situation just as much as she had been.

"Can we talk?"

"Of course," Carl pulled out a chair for Amelia to sit on. "Have a seat."

Amelia smiled politely and sat down. Carl and Chandler sat down at the table as well. And then it went silent. 

Amelia wanted to start talking about James and about her mom, but she felt like she shouldn't start with that topic. So she looked around, and noticed the many portraits of James around the place. "He's everywhere here."

Carl and Chandler looked around and nodded. "He was important to us."

Amelia looked at them. "I'm here to talk about him."

Carl nodded. "I bet you have many questions."

Amelia nodded. "I don't know where to start."

"Wherever you want."

She looked down, at the portrait of her parents. Somehow this portrait made her feel better, it made her feel stronger. She looked up at them again. "How did my parents meet?"

Carl smiled. "Your mother first met your father in the living room, when Louisa and Alden had chosen him to watch over your mother," He sighed. "He later told me he never had seen such a beautiful woman in his entire life."

"Love at first sight." Chandler added.

Carl nodded. "He definitely was," He then looked down. "He never told Cassandra, he was a very honorable man, he knew his place in society and wouldn't invade that at any cost."

"So how did they get together then?"

Carl looked at Amelia. "I don't know all the details, but James told me that Cassandra had been having a hard time over at her kingdom," He said to which Amelia nodded, understanding that. "And so he listened to her and tried giving some advice, she appreciated that."

Amelia smiled a bit. "They grew closer because my dad supported my mom?"

Carl nodded, a smile now appearing on his face.

"Apparently, your mom made the first move," Chandler went on, chuckling a bit. "James was too shy to act on his feelings and he didn't want to betray her trust. But when she kissed him, he didn't hold back."

Carl nodded. "They were inseparable ever since," He then looked at Amelia. "Kind of like you and Felicity now."

Amelia blushed as she looked down.

"When we heard the amazing news that she was expecting you and that they were going to get married, we couldn't be more happy for him, and for her of course," Carl smiled but it faded immediately. "And then he left us for good," He sighed. "As did she."

Amelia gulped. "I'm sorry."

"This isn't your fault," Carl smiled at her. "You aren't to blame for any of this."

Amelia smiled a bit. "I wish I would've known my dad."

Carl once again smiled. "It warms my heart to hear you say 'dad' to my son."

"Well he is my dad, and he'll always be my dad," Amelia smiled, bigger this time. "And you two are and will always be my family as well," She then got up. "My uncle," She hugged Chandler, who gladly accepted the hug. "And my grandpa." She hugged Carl.

Carl gulped before slowly wrapping his arms around Amelia, his grandchild. While he was holding her, tears of joy were streaming down his face. He realized just how much he had missed his son, his daughter-in-law and his grandchild.

When Amelia pulled back, she noticed the tears on his face. "Are you ok?" She asked, keeping him close.

"Yes, Amelia," He wiped his tears away before showing her the biggest smile he could form. "I'm just so happy to have you back."

Amelia smiled.

"And we'll make that idiot pay for what he did to you and Cassandra," Chandler said. "No one touches our family."

"Absolutely." Carl smiled before pulling Amelia into a hug again. A hug Amelia gladly accepted, because this one felt sincere. This one came from her family, her grandpa.

Suddenly the door to the room opened. "Amelia?"

Amelia pulled back and saw Felicity stand there. She smiled before hurrying to her. She pulled Felicity's face to hers and kissed her.

"Wow, what a nice greeting," Felicity smiled as she held on to Amelia. "What happened?"

Amelia smiled at her before looking at Carl and Chandler. "I just bonded with my uncle and grandpa."

Felicity looked from her to Carl and Chandler and then smiled. "That's amazing!" She walked to them and shook their hands. "Welcome in the family, again."

"You better make my granddaughter happy." Carl playfully teased Felicity.

"It would be an honor," Felicity then looked at Amelia. "I've been looking all over for you."

"Well, I'm here." Amelia smiled.

Felicity smiled a bit before sighing. She looked at all of them. "My parents and I have been thinking and we came to the conclusion that James might have been killed by Prince Piers."

"What?" Carl and Chandler gasped. "Why would you think that?"

Felicity looked at them. "James died when he was on his way to get Cassandra, he never returned, nor did she. Something happened there. And we think Cassandra may have told the Crown and her family, but they got rid of him because they thought he wasn't worthy to be king," She then looked at Amelia. "It would also explain why they wouldn't let you come here before."

Amelia looked down. "If he's responsible for killing my dad in the Middledes Woods, then I know exactly who to ask this to."

"Who?" Chandler asked.

Amelia looked at them. "The two soldiers that knifed me down."