95

Austin

By the time we got back to the hotel, it was almost midnight. We all freshened up and everything, before I finally got my phone back.

The second I turned it on, my top notifications were texts and calls from Jess that I had missed.

I could tell, so easily, that she was upset. And I didn't mean to make her upset.

I sighed and sat on the edge of my bed, calling her. When I got no answer, I composed a text.

Me
Jess

Me
I'm so sorry, my mom took my phone I just got it back

Me
I wasn't ignoring you. Text me when you get this

I sighed and laid back, feeling tired myself. Putting my arm over my eyes, I- unexpectedly, fell asleep.

Jessica
Morning
"Where's Mom?"

"Where's Dad?"

Noah and I synced as we met in the kitchen. "Fun," I sighed, walking to the fridge.

"How are you doing..?" Noah slowly asked, reminding me of the thing that hadn't even left my mind.

"Fine," I bluntly said, closing the fridge. "Jess," he sighed. "Don't talk to me about it, Noah," I snapped.

I didn't even mean to. I didn't wanna talk about it with anyone but Austin- Who wasn't even talking to me. Not even.. I just didn't wanna talk about it.

I didn't mean to snap, though. My eyes grew teary right when I finished the sentence. All I could do was look at Noah's speechless expression.

"I'm sorry," I quietly said, pouring milk into my bowl of cereal.

"I- um," he paused. "If you need anything, let me know," he said. I nodded, staring blankly at my cereal as he walked away.

Austin

Three months.

I looked at my phone and still, saw no response from Jess.

"Austin, let's go, we need to get breakfast," Becca shook me. "You guys go. I don't feel good," I lied.

"Mom said-" "Just go, Becca," I spoke harshly. "Jeez, okay," she sighed, walking away.

I closed my eyes and put my phone down, knowing I shouldn't have yelled.

The door closed and everything went quiet again, and I still had nothing to do. I didn't wanna do anything. I genuinely just wanted to be with Jess.

I wasn't going to bring it up though. As bad as it would've made me look, I didn't want her to be even more upset. She's too sensitive.

Once my phone vibrated though, my eyes bursted open again.

Jess
I miss you

I sighed in relief. I didn't wanna argue with her anymore.

Me
I miss you too

Me
How's everything over there

Jess
Could always be better

Me
What happened?

Jess
It's fine don't worry. I'm about to head out I'll text you later

Me
Wait where are you going?

Jess
I'm just going for a drive

Me
I love you. Be safe

Jess
I love you too

She definitely remembered, and I could tell she was doing the same this as me, of not mentioning it.

Jessica

After texting Austin, I took my keys and went to the car, driving to a place only I liked to go, alone.

It wasn't exactly secret or discreet, it was in the open- but a place I only took myself.

It was a place by the park, but not really. A parking lot, I guess? Pretty empty, but very known.

Trees surrounded the area and there were a ton of birds. It was quiet- overall just peaceful to be on my own.

So, I did exactly that to clear my mind.

My dad was gone- not the first time, but still suckisb.

My mom was gone- hers stressed me less, she'd never leave Noah and me without any heads up, or without taking us with her.

Austin's not here- I couldn't tell if, I'm this particular day, it was a good or bad thing. If he was here, I knew for a fact that it would either be super sad, or just really aggravating. Something about the events and him just.. I've never been able to handle it well with him.

Nobody else knows, still. Just Austin, Noah, Caleb and me.

I connected my phone to the Bluetooth in the car and quietly played music. Leaning the seat back, I looked out the sunroof, to the sun filled clouds in the sky.

It seemed like nothing, but really, I could spend hours doing exactly that.

After about a half hour, when I genuinely felt more relaxed than before, my phone started buzzing against the holder.

Noah
Mom's home, nothings wrong but I think you should come

I took a deep breath, before driving the same way home.

"Where were you?" Was the first question Mom asked me when I got inside. "I just went for a drive quickly, I-"

"I called you," she cut me off. "Really?" I picked up my phone. "I didn't get a call," I said, scrolling through my call log.

"I called you," she repeated. "Are you su-" "Jessica, I called-" "Mom you didn't," Noah cut her off, with her phone in his hand. He showed her the screen, which I assumed showed her call log.

"I could've sworn I did," she put her hand on her forehead. She looked so stressed. And I couldn't even do anything about it.

"Okay, why did you call?" I asked, trying to dismiss her misunderstanding.

"I needed you to get a few things from the store, and drop off Nite at the-" "I'll go, Jess toss the keys," Noah cut her off.

"No, Noah I need to talk to you. Here," she handed me her credit card. "Drop Nite off, ill text you what I need," she said.

Mom stress cooked and baked, so this wasn't as unordinary as it seemed. The fact that she needed Noah and not me, though.. was something else.

After a few silent seconds, I nodded. "Okay," I said, walking away to look for Nite.

As I did, I heard Noah and Mom start faintly talking. I didn't know what to make of that. This day was filled with so much confusion.

"Hi baby," I smiled, kneeling beside Nite. Waking him up from his slumber, I gently stroked his fur, before attaching his leash to his collar.

"Come on," I softly said, picking him up.

Mom and Noah were gone from the kitchen when I got back, so I took it upon myself and walked out.

Bringing Nite into the car, I stayed silent, driving slowly to the vet.