nineteen

Jessica

In the morning, I waited outside of Austin's house, in my car. He usually took about two to five minutes, but today was oddly longer.

I pulled up my phone and called him, only to get no answer, so instead I texted him.

Me
I'm outside

Still, I got no response. Ten minutes had passed and there was still no sign of him.

His car was parked in the driveway so that meant that he was home. But where was he?

I resorted to calling Caleb, who luckily answered.

"Hey," his deep voice spoke. "Hey, is Austin alright? I've been waiting outside for a few and he hasn't shown," I explained.

"Uhm.. he probably overslept. My parents aren't home and neither am I, but there's a key in the mailbox, so you can let yourself in," he said, only to continue. "But he was in a mood yesterday. I don't know what's wrong he wasn't telling me."

"Oh, alright," I said. "Thanks Caleb," I added. "No problem. Bye."

I parked my car and got out, grabbing the key from the mailbox, and getting inside Austin's house.

"Austin?" I called, setting everything down. The environment was quiet, as if nobody was home.

"Austin?" I called again, going upstairs. When I finally reached his room, I found him, still asleep.

A small laugh escaped my mouth. "Austin, c'mon, we have to get to school," I sat next to his body, softly stroking his hair.

He shuffled around but didn't respond. "Aus, wake up," I shook him.
"Please just leave me alone, Jess," he mumbled. I looked at him curiously. Usually when he was angry, he'd at least be awake. Fully awake.

"Babe, what's wrong?" I gently asked. "Nothing," he groaned. "Jess please, I don't want to go to school today."

An uneasy feeling flushed through my body. I bent down next to his bed, so our heads were at the same level.

"Austin," I cupped his cheek. "What's going on?" I asked. His eyes still hadn't opened from the moment I walked in.

He turned onto his stomach and buried his face into his arms.

"Fine," I sighed, kicking off my shoes. I set my things down and collapsed next to him.

"Looks like we're missing first period," I shrugged. "Jess just go to school, I'm not in the mood today," he complained.

"Okay, and neither am I, ever, but I'm still going," I told him. "What's wrong?" I asked, again.

His silence only tested my patience. "I'm just tired," he said, but I could tell he was lying.

I laid on my side, facing him. About a minute passed and he still hadn't budged. Sighing, I laid on my back.

"I'm so tired, my world is ending," I dramatically said, throwing my hands up.

Expecting a reaction but getting none, I turned to him again. "Aus, please look at me," I pleaded.

His eyes finally opened, making contact with mine. "What's going on?" I asked. "Nothing. I got pissed last night, I don't want to deal with everyone at school," he shrugged.

I knew he was lying to me, but I didn't know how to get it out of him. "Are you seriously not going to go?"

He nodded his head, closing his eyes again. I stood up and grabbed my things again.

"Text me when you're willing to talk," I told him. Again, getting no response, I left the house.

Slipping the key back into the mailbox, I got into my car and drove off, regardless of being late or not.

---

I arrived at class, late. All eyes turned to me as I opened the door but I ignored them and walked to my seat.

"What happened?" Kayla asked. "Austin happened."

"Kay, what would you do to get him to communicate with you?" I asked. "Honestly, I don't know. That's where you're helpful for any situation," she said. I sighed and shook my head.

"Not this one, apparently."

"Why? What's going on?" She asked. "He's not having it at all. He seemed fine yesterday after we... talked," I slowly ended. 

"Jess.." Kayla whispered. The topic we discussed yesterday had sprung into both of our minds.

I shook my head. "No, he told me it's fine. We're fine."

"Anything you two would like to share?" Our English teacher spoke to us. 

I sighed, as Kayla shifted around in her seat. "No, sorry Mrs. E," she said. 

Mrs. E smiled in satisfaction before continuing the lesson. 

Lunch rolled around, and I sat with my usual group. "Where's Austin?" David asked. I shrugged. "He wasn't in the mood today," I said, still annoyed that he hadn't contacted me at all. 

"He was supposed to text me, but he didn't," I added. 

He looked up from his phone, and to me. "Are you sure?" He asked. 

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"Because, he just sent me this." He showed me his phone, where Austin sent him a photo of Netflix playing on his laptop. 

"Dick move," I muttered, pulling out my phone. 

I got up and left the cafeteria, walking into the hallway. Multiple rings had gone by before he sent me to voicemail. 

I didn't leave a message. Instead, I called him again. This time though, he answered. 

"Hello," he spoke. "Did I do something to tick you off?" I asked. "No," he sighed.

"Please, Jess, we can talk about this later," he said. "When's later?" I questioned. "I don't know. Just call me after school," he answered. 

"Okay, I will."